Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mckeg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Deducting travel expenses
    I work at a remote site in Alaska, while there my accommodation is provided by my employer (there is no private accommodation at this site, no homes, etc). I live in Alabama. Is deducting my travel expense legitimate?
    By the normal IRS defination of tax home that would be the site in Alaska, does the fact that I could not actually live at the site (move my family their) make a difference?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 11:41 AM
    If you have been in Alaska for less than one year, and your expected stay will not exceed one year, then you are working in a temporary work location and you cannot claim moving expenses.

However, you can claim the travel and daily living expenses as employee business expenses.
    mckeg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Actually I have been doing this "commute" for several years and have always assumed that the site in Alaska was considered my tax home. However, since it is not possible to actually live in (or move within several hundred miles of) this work location I was wondering if this made a difference? Thank you for the response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel expenses deduction F1 to H1B [ 4 Answers ]

I was doing my OPT during 2005, until June 30 when my F1 visa expired. The employer sponsored me and I had to go back home in July to get my H1B and returned to the US on October 1st, to start working again. Can I deduct the airfare for going back home and get my visa? Can I deduct some visa fees...

Travel Expenses of Minor [ 2 Answers ]

When a father has visitation rights, but the child lives in NY and he lives in PR, who has to pay for the travel expenses?

Travel expenses [ 3 Answers ]

My DH is now self-employed and I am so confused with all the tax stuff. He gets $20 a day per diem through the company. Now the crew that he is on for contracting is my uncle (superintendent), my DH and my cousin. They work out of state all week and are home on weekends. My question is this. ...

Executor of Will - Travel Expenses [ 2 Answers ]

My mother is Executrix of her mother's will. My mother lives in California; my grandmother resided in NY. When my grandmother died, my mother had to fly to NY and stay in NY in order to deal with her estate. There was no fee mentioned in the will for the Executor, but does my mother, as...

Divorce - travel expenses [ 2 Answers ]

I was divorced in the State of Rhode Island. My ex has since moved to PA and I now live in New York City. Currently, I take care of all travel and travel expenses during child visitation. I want my ex to provide half. Would a judge typically award this?

View more questions Search