Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Muggs Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Meniscus tears & arthroscopy
    Hello! I hurt my knee just by standing up 2 weeks ago. When I stood up; I felt this pop & then my knee hurt & swelled up. The MRI showed a posterior horn meniscal tear & a medial "body tear", myxoid degeneration, & a parameniscal cyst. I have pain on & off which is manageble with advil EXCEPT the knee does snag or lock once & a while which hurts much worse but I manage. I am still working (limping.. lol) I was advised to have arthroscopic surgery. My appointment was quite BRIEF because the physician was busy & he looked though the mri's & did a small manual exam & said "yep it's a tear". I was told I should be able to return to work in 5-7 days after the procedure (I think even working on it now doesn't help much either but they say it is OK & I need the money). I am a nurse but do not have a vast experience with knee disorders. I think that is a short recovery period? I do not work in the orthopedic field & was wondering if anyone can tell me more information about the condition or their similar experience with the surgery or condition. I appreciate any info. Thanks!
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Apr 8, 2008, 10:13 PM
    You may get a second ortho opinion.

Because/ if your occupation requires pivoting, turning, bending, squating, going up and down stairs or walking on uneven ground, the torn meniscus may cause more pain swelling, locking, buckling, popping. An arthroscopic meniscectomy would be advisable.
    Often this is a same day surgery procedure [ no ligament involvement ].

That, physical therapy, and anti inflamatories.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy EMERGENCY I'm in tears over this [ 11 Answers ]

Please help us! Once again my puppy has been scooting around on the floor in the morning. Then she kept passing mucus out her anus, and then... I SAW A WORM!! Hanging outside her anus!! :eek: :( Oh lord I've never seen that before and almost freaked out completely! It was hanging out about 1...

Trail of Tears [ 1 Answers ]

I have just finished ready "Thirteen Moons" and got interested in the Trail of Tears, (Cherokee removal program). I wanted to read more about it. I think Amazon has over 6000 titles of that subject. Can any recommend a definitive book about the Trail of Tears? Non-fiction would be preferred....

Collapsed in uncontrollable tears [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I wasn't sure who to ask about this and still not sure whether to talk about it, but here goes. I had been out with my girlfriend in town, we had a really good day and thus eneded up staying out - one of those off the cuff decisions. Anyway, walking home I just kept stopping and...

Torn Meniscus [ 4 Answers ]

My husband was just told he has a torn meniscus and has to have surgery. His surgery date is April 2nd. How serious is the operation? What is the recovery time? I am concerned he is sheltering me from the truth...

Tears [ 14 Answers ]

:mad: I found this on a web sight... I wish I could save all the tears you made me cry... So I could Drown you in them... :mad: I know that's evil but today is how I'm feeling about him today. I guessthis is part of the healing... getting angry. Thanks to you all for helping me see the light...

View more questions Search