Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onika Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2005, 02:45 AM
    Looking for help to stop a stalker...
    I am a hairdresser in a big city, and a few days ago I just got out of a long term relationship with someone I deeply loved. I was hurt, and lonely... when I met a man as a customer in my salon. I KNOW I should have known better, as I have never gone out with a client in the past, but something just seemed so sweet and sincere about this gentleman. He gave me his phone number (a metro pcs cell number, I believe), and I called him the next evening after I got off work, and arranged to meet him for a date. We were talking about how he has trouble trusting women, no less... and I was telling him about my past relationship. Anyway, after chatting with him for about a half hour, I went to use the restroom... when I came back he was gone! I waited because I thought he was in the restroom but then quickly realized that my purse was gone, along with all of my money, id, and card (which I canceled immediately). No one around saw anything, and all I have to go on is his first and middle name, which now I don't even know is real, the city he lives in, and his cell number. He in return knows where I work and my name. I know this sounds crazy, but I need to feel like I am not completely vulnerable in this situation. I would like to know if there is a was to find out any kind of information at all on this man. Someone else posted a similar question to you and you gave them a link to do a reverse tracking on a cell phone, but it didn't work. I don't have much money unfortunalety... I'm afraid my only choice would be to pay for such info. Please help if you can! By the way, I'm also afraid he may disconnect his number because I called him, so time is of the essence!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2005, 07:05 AM
    You should be going to your local police IMMEDIATELY. This was a theft, a crime. They will want to investigate! They have the resources to investigate this, you don't need to.

I'm sure this isn't the first time this person has pulled something like this. So he probably has a record.

Again, this is a matter for the police to handle. You should have called them immediately. However much you might be embarrassed by letting yourself get into this situation, it will be worse if you try to handle this yourself. Please call the police as soon as you read this.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Aug 11, 2005, 10:07 AM
    STEP 1 - Contact the police - make a report and specifically ask for help and FOLLOW-UP- Get the detectives personal/contact phone number. NOTIFY YOUR CREDIT CARD COs & BANK(S) IMMEDIATELY - if he is able to use the cards, he can be tracked. Be cautious, always travel with a companion & keep your house & car secure. Also, you might consider a couple of inexpensive & effective personal and home secuirity items, such as
    Alarm system - http://www.thpsales.com/store/viewIt...idProduct=1028
    Pepper spray - http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/p....asp?sku=30893)

Did you get a auto license number? Does anyone (employees, customers, etc) at the shop or restaurant know or recognize him? Did he use a credit card to purchase or pay an bills at either location?

What's the zipcode, his name & phone number? :cool:

P2E

-----------

Quote Originally Posted by onika
    I am a hairdresser in a big city, and a few days ago I just got out of a long term relationship with someone I deeply loved. I was hurt, and lonely.... when I met a man as a customer in my salon. I KNOW I should have known better, as I have never gone out with a client in the past, but something just seemed so sweet and sincere about this gentleman. He gave me his phone number (a metro pcs cell number, I believe), and I called him the next evening after I got off work, and arranged to meet him for a date. We were talking about how he has trouble trusting women, no less....and I was telling him about my past relationship. Anyway, after chatting with him for about a half hour, I went to use the restroom...when I came back he was gone! I waited because I thought he was in the restroom but then quickly realized that my purse was gone, along with all of my money, id, and card (which I canceled immediately). No one around saw anything, and all I have to go on is his first and middle name, which now I don't even know is real, the city he lives in, and his cell number. He in return knows where I work and my name. I know this sounds crazy, but I need to feel like I am not completely vulnerable in this situation. I would like to know if there is a was to find out any kind of information at all on this man. Someone else posted a similar question to you and you gave them a link to do a reverse tracking on a cell phone, but it didn't work. I don't have much money unfortunalety...I'm afraid my only choice would be to pay for such info. Please help if you can! By the way, I'm also afraid he may disconnect his number because I called him, so time is of the essence!

Aug 11, 2005, 06:57 PM
    Thanks for your reply...
    I contacted the police, and gave them the info I had. The phone number is disconnected now. His are code is 408, and I believe he is a bartender. He didn't use my card, and he paid for his haircut in cash. I will definitely be careful. Thanks for all of your help!

Aug 11, 2005, 08:30 PM
    What was his phone number, I suspect his phone records may still available...

P2E

Aug 12, 2005, 05:03 AM
    I contacted the police, and gave them the info I had. The phone number is disconnected now. His are code is 408, and I believe he is a bartender. He didn't use my card, and he paid for his haircut in cash. I will definately be careful. Thanks for all of your help!!
    Whether the phone number is disconnected or not, they should be able to trace it back. However, there is a black market in disposable cell phones so that could hit a dead end.

But this is a matter for the police to handle. I would not try tracking this on my own. The police have resources you don't. I would follow up with them in a few days.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2005, 06:15 AM
    Cell Phone number
    Hi,
    You probably are going to need a court order, by a judge, in order to get the name, address, etc, of the person from his cell phone company.
    The police can advise you of what to do, by calling his cell phone company, and finding out what procedures to take.
    These records can be released, in most cases, with a court order.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Aug 12, 2005, 09:24 AM
    Another superfluous copycat post from Fred.

I think both Press and I more than adequately impressed on her the need to let the police handle the situation.

As to getting a court order, ain't going to happen. No judge would grant a court order to an individual in a criminal case. They would only issue such an order to a law enforcement agency. The only time an individual could obtain a court order for info like this is in a civil case.

Aug 12, 2005, 10:31 PM
    Understand the difference between knowledge and authority. Where I have access to both, others may not be as fortunate. I read Onica's initial post and offered her my assistance. As with anything, personal choice will dictate whether she heeds the advice or advice is even offered to her.

In any case, I figure if my expertise or advice can help her (or another) transition from victim to victor, then the potential for others to also gain from her bad experience is far greater than doing nothing... Can you imagine what the world would be like if everyone unselfishly decided to help one another?

Finally, last time I checked “court order's” weren't req'd to legally obtainable & readily assessable information like your name, address, phone number, DOB, assets, birth/death, marriage/divorce, criminal records, etc. etc. Like searching for “lost treasures” - you just got to know when, how & where to look... :D

While I believe everyone is held accountable for their actions, I also believe the same is true for their inactions.

P2E

Aug 13, 2005, 01:35 AM
    Not being "inactive"...
    I have done what I can, which is tell what I know to police. Also, I have told everyone I know of this, including my co-workers (whom most will be able to recognize if they saw him). In addition, a court order is not possible at this time, there is not enough to go on. Thanks to everyone for their input, and let this be a lesson to anyone reading this! Don't take everyone for face value.

Aug 13, 2005, 03:40 AM
    I have done what I can, which is tell what I know to police. Also, I have told everyone I know of this, including my co-workers (whom most will be able to recognize if they saw him). In addition, a court order is not possible at this time, there is not enough to go on. Thanks to everyone for their input, and let this be a lesson to anyone reading this! Don't take everyone for face value.
    Onika,
    You have learned a hard lesson, but a valuable one. That you have shared the lesson with others is to your credit. My best wishes to you and hopes that this all turns out OK.

Aug 13, 2005, 03:45 AM
    P2E,

I'm not sure I follow the purpose of your last note, though I agree with much of its sentiment.

The only thing I partially disagree with is the issue of court orders. While its true that there is a lot of (too much) personal info available on the Net, it doesn't mean one can find anything. In fact, most cell phone numbers are not published.

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't stop thinking about my ex [ 20 Answers ]

I'd been going out with my girl for 2months, then one day she just turned around and said that she ' couldn't be bothered'. This was about 2 weeks ago. I tried my hardest, and did nothing wrong to her. This was my first serious relationship. Ever since we split, all I can think about is her, and it...

How can I stop being miserable? [ 11 Answers ]

A couple months ago I tried to commit suicide by cutting my wrist... :( Now I get so upset so easily, and I cry a lot.What if I try to hurt myself again. I'm only 13. :( I used to go to counseling but now I can't make any appointments because my therapist can't take my insurance.I don't want to be...

Fan won't stop [ 2 Answers ]

The compressor on the a/c turns off but the fan continues to run. Tonight when I turned off the a/c at the t-stat, the fan and compressor came back on even though the unit was turned off. What is my problem? The unit is about 24 years old and the t-stat was replaced a few months ago.

Blower does not stop? [ 4 Answers ]

I went on vacation for 10 days. Before I left, I turned off my unit from the termostat, letf the unit on OFF and fan on Automatic. Also turned off the pilot on my gas water heater. When I got back, the blower which is part of the furnace was running! who knows for how long. The house was at 90...

One Stop Supplier [ 1 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me. I'm planning to start an online store buying, selling, and trading video games, DVDs, and computer games. Do anyone know of just one supplier that may deal with all of the abovementioned items? I'm not looking for closeout items, but mainstream new releases that you...

View more questions Search