Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andy Sickler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Wall outlet orientation
    What is the proper wall outlet orientation and is there a industry standard?
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Sep 30, 2007, 03:37 PM
    If you mean ground up or down, then whichever way you want it! There is reasons some do it, but no code specific mandate that I know of.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Sep 30, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Washington is correct. The code doesn't mandate outlet orientation and there is no industry standard-industry follows the code. THe reasons for orienting a certain way are wives tales passed down through the years, or just a matter of preference.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 09:14 PM
    My vote is for level.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Here is a previous answer for this question:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...operating+room
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Oct 1, 2007, 06:00 AM
    I stand somewhat corrected as this apparently was code years past for medical facilities. Even then, the electricians I knew oriented the residential outlets as they preferred-guess they didn't wire up med facilities. Today, I still hear numerous reasons an outlet should be installed a certain way...
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Oct 1, 2007, 12:48 PM
    If this is an issue, then buy the receptacle that turns 360 degrees... :) This will stop all the talk!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2007, 01:20 PM
    But I like them on my workbench, long side up. I guess I can only mount wiremold outlets vertical?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall outlet orientation [ 17 Answers ]

Just out of curiosity I was wondering about the orientation of three prong 120v outlets. Most times I see outlets they are oriented with the ground prong down though sometimes I have seen them with the ground prong at the top. I had asked about it once at a company I worked for previously and was...

Installing outlet from existing wall switch [ 12 Answers ]

I have a switch that controls an outside light. It is at the end of the run. I want to run an outlet inside the garage from that switch. I want the outlet to only have power when the switch is on. There are two black wires attached to the switch and the two white wires are connected with a wire nut...

Installing Telephone wall outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having trouble installing a telephone wall outlet. The wire has 6 wires and the outlet has 4 wires. HELP!!

Wall outlet to cd drive? [ 2 Answers ]

Please I need help to connect the wall outlet to a cd drive, I was thinknin about puttin it in my car, but I have no idea how to, can someone please help me it would really REALLY help, I've been looking for like the past year and I haven't found anything

View more questions Search