Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    regularlurker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2012, 12:05 PM
    Rinnai Flush Procedure -- But No Flush Valves?
    Hello All,

I've learned a lot from this forum, but still basically a novice home improvement. I took advantage of the buy-$50-gift-cards-at-Michael's-for-$40 sale (this sale is still going on, and I do not work or am affiliated with Michael's or Lowe's in any way), and one of the things I was going to purchase (I bought $500 worth) is a submersible pump for help in cleaning my Rinnai system. It has never been cleaned (4 years old), and sadly, I have never realized our home's Rinnai R85 needs regular cleaning. I'll post before and after pics when I'm done. I was only recently alerted to this when our neighbor told us. I've asked around, no one else in our neighborhood knows this either.

Anyway, it looks like an easy procedure and I am getting ready to go buy my sump pump, vinegar, and hoses. Out to the Rinnai heater I go, make sure I get the right kind of connectors, when lo and behold, it doesn't look like I anticipate.

I don't know if this is standard, but I read the other thread (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...ur-304590.html) and was expecting a picture like that.

My situation also has three strange electrical things I did not expect: 1) a plug at the end of a cord; 2) an outlet with two sockets; and 3) what appears to be an electrical cord end terminated with a chunk of plastic.

Anyway, I thought about unhooking the braided lines, and plumbing in the vinegar there, but I'm not sure that's the greatest idea.

So, that's my situation. Great forum, glad I found it, and if anyone has any suggestion, I will greatly appreciate it.
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 17, 2012, 07:58 AM
    Hi Regularlurker

Here, you would shut the blue valves to the off position.

Next, cut the 3/4" CPVC plastic line from the boiler relief valve and then remove the boiler relief valve from the pipe on the left and install a 3/4" boiler drain (looks like the one on the right pipe) like on the right pipe.

Now you can hook your pump hoses up and flush the tank.

To finish this, remove the new boiler drain and install a NEW boiler relief valve for best result. Use a 3/4" CPVC coupling to rejoin the CPVC plastic pipe.

Keep the boiler drain handy and a couple 3/4" CPVC couplings and some CPVC cement handy for future flushings, OK?

Plugs are fine so no need to concern yourself with those.

Questions? Let me know...

Mark

PS: You could also repipe this using a 3/4" brass tee fitting and some 3/4" brass nipples and install the new 3/4" boiler drain and new relief valve and be all set for next time without any additional work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to flush a rinnai are 85 tankless hot water system? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you please tell me how to flush the system or how I can keep the little rocks & sand out?

Can't get syphon flush to work. Very weak flush resulting [ 1 Answers ]

I have replaced a syphon type flush mechanism in a toilet cistern. I fillet up the cistern with water and tried to flush the toilet. I get a very weak flush with a lot of gurgling noises. I can't seem to get a proper syphon effect. Any suggestions as to how I might to get a proper flush? Ball valve...

Best procedure to flush a water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I am sure Speedball1 and a few others will help me with this post. I want to double check on the best procedure to follow when flushing a hot water heater. I have been shutting down the main opening a hot water faucet and then the drain at the bottom of the tank. When the tank is about empty and...

Toilet Flush valves [ 10 Answers ]

I'm having problems with my plumber, he instaled a old flush valve in my basement washroom, ran a dedicated 3/4" line and the valve dosent work ( it's an old one that leaks like crazy) but now he can't find a valve and toilet combination that will work with a 3/4" residential line. All the new ones...

View more questions Search