Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arkiefisherman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 02:31 PM
    Joint tenancy in Michigan with husband , wife and son
    A husband, wife and son have ownership in property in Michigan under joint tenancy what share does each own?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 17, 2012, 02:54 PM
    1/3 unless the deed expressly allocates an uneven split.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 17, 2012, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arkiefisherman View Post
    a husban, wife and son have ownership in property in Michigan under joint tenancy what share does each own?
    This is not exacly what you asked, but are you sure it's a joint tenancy?

"Revised Statutes of 1846 (EXCERPT)
    Chapter 62. Of The Nature And Qualities Of Estates In Real And Personal Property, And The Alienation Thereof.

554.44 Land conveyance to two or more persons; estate created.
    Sec. 44.

All grants and devises of lands, made to 2 or more persons, except as provided in the following section, shall be construed to create estates in common, and not in joint tenancy, unless expressly declared to be in joint tenancy." MI Comp L 554.44 :: Section 554.44 — Land conveyance to two or more persons; estate created. :: 2011 Michigan Compiled Laws :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Just so you'll know: It has to expressly contain the words "joint tenancy", or it's a tenancy in common.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My son lives in Florida with his wife. He wants to come back to Michigan without her. [ 10 Answers ]

My son lives in Florida with his wife. He wants to come back to Michigan without his wife but does not want to get introuble for abandonment of his children. How can he protect his rights? This is a troubled marriage and he has tried for eight years to make it work with his wife of 1 year. He...

Michigan joint tenancy again with a twist [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I've seen similar questions to my own, but not exactly. I found out two days ago that my father put my sister's name on a quit claim "joint tenancy with right of survivorship" deed almost 15 years ago. I couldn't believe it so when I went home, I went to the courthouse and got a copy. ...

Husband( IL resident)+wife ( F1 in Michigan), how to file state income tax [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Sir or Madamn, My case is as the following: Husband( IL resident)+wife ( F1 in Michigan originally from China and arrived in US in Auguest, 2007) We file federal tax jointly because my husband is a US permanently resident in Illinois. However we have great difficulty in preparing...

Common tenancy or joint tenancy [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone help me find out the difference in common tenancy and joint tenancy? How does either of these affect a divorce, or if you die, etc. What do I need to know on these in case of death or divorce?

View more questions Search