Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    franticinfloria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 05:09 PM
    How do I get my daughters boyfriend out of my house?
    My daughter lives in a home that my husband and I own. We do not make her pay rent. She is responsible for the electric and the water bills. When she moved we told her not to move any other people in with her. We told her she could have visitors, but no live ins. We found out that she has moved her boyfriend in without our consent. My husband confronted them and they both seem to think we owe them the house and it is their right to be there without our permission. I want to know how to get the boyfriend out. We want to make repairs to the house so we can sell it, but it is almost impossible to get in because the boyfriend is sleeping all day. My daughter has no phone, so I can't call her. I need him out now! What do I do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 06:01 PM

You evict all of them,

Sorry but she is in violation of her rental agreement with you,

And why is is a problem to get in, you notify them you will be there at... time and day, give 24 hour notice ( OK in most areas) and you go on in and fix it. You are a landlord and have to act like one, not as a parent scared to treat their kid as a adult and hold her responsible for her actions.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 08:29 PM

I agree w/ FrChuck. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd be able to restrain myself from just throwing them both out. That's not legal advice - that would be an illegal eviction.

The "easiest" route, legally is to give them both a 30 day notice to terminate their "periodic tenancy" (month-to-month). Then whoever's left at the end of 30 days gets an eviction filed against them. There's a "sticky" at the top of this forum with a link to each state's LL / tenant laws.

If you just evict him and leave her in place she can just invite him back and you'd basically have to go through the whole process all over again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daughters grad open house who to invite. [ 8 Answers ]

I wrote this once but somereason it didn't submit. So here goes. My ex left appox 9 yrs ago for another woman. My daughter that is now graduating was adopted by him the only father she knows. She seldom visits there claiming she can't stand his wife and her"evil daughter"She wanted her dad to come...

Adding a boyfriend to a house deed [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for 10 years. We do not plan on getting married. We have both been there done that. I want to add his name to my house deed. I own the house outright. There is no mortgage. The problem is he is still legally married. He stays married for insurance purposes....

Daughters ex-boyfriend won't leave her alone [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 17 and her ex-boyfriend keeps calling and texting her (she does not answer). Now he is spreading awful rumors about her and is calling the new boyfriend to tell him of the rumors. Does she have any legal rights to stop this dirt-bag and get him to leave her alone? She just wants to...

I'm dying & My boyfriend wants name on my house. Why? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I own my own home and my boyfriend of 5 years wants to move in but says he won't until his name is on the mortgage. I have all ready given him the home in my will, but that's not what he wants. He wants his name on it now, so he feels "secure". I don't understand. I have a zero interest...

Kick Boyfriend Out of House [ 4 Answers ]

I have been living with a guy for almost 4 years. I am breaking it off with him and told him to leave but he won't. What rights do I have? The house I live in is an inheritance from my parents and in my name only. My boyfriend has worked maybe 6 months out of the whole 4 years we have been...

View more questions Search