Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Simon-peter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 06:19 PM
    Mobile Home Service Wire
    I just bought a used Mobile Home - The previous owner moved the meter box from the back to the front - It has not been hooked up to the electric company since then - I know he should have done it with a permit - but I am now the owner. I am not an electrician. I live in Manitoba Canada. Here is the question - The previous owner used 2 RW-90 2/0 copper wires for the hot and a #6 stranded bare copper wire for the neutral the same also for the ground. I want to call Manitoba Hydro to inspect it, but before I do I want to know if this is right. If not then I must have an electrician change it. The previous is not an electrician either. I need an answer ASAP - our daughter needs to move into that trailer within a week or two.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2006, 06:55 PM
    The 2/0 is good for 200 amp, but in the USA the neutral may be a reduced neutral about a #1 insulated, and the ground would be a #4.

Best to have a local electrician check it and make a recommendation.

Also check with a real estate expert or an attorney to determine if the previous owner is responsible for improper work.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 8, 2006, 07:01 AM
    If this is the wiring to the trailers inside you need to have an insulater ground along with the other 2 hot legs and an insulated neutral for service. NEC says so.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 12:13 PM
    Poster states he is in Canada, and the NEC does not apply there, only in USA and territories.

This is why he should consult with a local electrician who will know the local code.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 8, 2006, 12:16 PM
    It does not make a difference where he lives. When you have a metal framed unit you better have a direct line back to the main out side on the pole IE Ground. The neutral is a current carrying wire on the return path. If you look at the canada standards you will find the same foot notes. Cert 1148
    Simon-peter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 10:07 PM
    Thanks for the help - I got my permit did the wiring myself - just needed to change the neutral - It passed inspection and the hydro is hooked up - everything is working fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting 3 wire to a 4 wire service panel [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to connect from a 3 wire system at the utility pole to a 4 wire service panel inside a new mobile home. I called an electrician for some advice and was told that I needed to drive an 8ft ground stake and attach a solid copper wire from the stake to the ground bar in the panel. Then I...

Mobile Home Electrical Service [ 6 Answers ]

Thgis is a combination electrical/legal guestion. Who is responsible for the service drop in a mobile home park? I live in Pennsylvania and was recently told by a human services agency here that weatherization could not be started on my mobile home until a problem with the main electrical...

What size wire to use for new service? [ 2 Answers ]

We are currently building a greenhouse, and I need to run about 240 foot of wire from the pole to the greenhouse breaker box. The greenhouse will have 2- 115/230V fans drawing 6.0 amps each, 3- 1/3hp sump pumps not sure of the amperage yet but will be 115v, LP gas instant hot water heater, 10...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search