Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CherylAnnRobbins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 07:15 AM
    How Far Can you Hear Class B Fireworks
    I'm not sure if I'm in the right subject area for this question, but here goes. My question is, Is is possible to hear the thunderous boom of fireworks (not the little ones, but ones businesses use to put on shows. I believe they are Class B fireworks) at least 10 miles away if you were sitting outside in a quiet area? I hope you can help me. Thanks!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 09:58 AM
    From 1m to 10 miles, the dBA volume drops by about 85 dBA.

A soft whisper is about 30dBA. So a firework would have to be about 115 dbA at 1m for you to hear it as a soft whisper 10 miles away.

Display class Fireworks in the UK are limited to 120 dBA, the guideline doesn't make it very clear at what distance this is, it could be at the normal viewing distance - a few tens of meters. So it is plausible that you could hear the fireworks from 10 miles away if it were suitably quiet.
    tradermoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2013, 11:19 PM
    About one day a year we hear the sharp, metallic click of iron shots from a sunken driving range several blocks away. The rest of the time, totally undetectable in our quiet neighborhood. IOW, if stratified air reflects or channels the sound in an unusual way, the standard numbers can evidently be greatly exceeded.

Last night (New Year's Eve) we were astonished to hear very low frequency mortar reports that we think came from barges on San Francisco Bay at SF. I mean VERY LOW frequency. The sound would have to have traveled 32 miles south over the water then ashore for another 3 miles. Later in the evening, we watched a replay on TV and believe we recognized the pattern of the heavier explosions. Have never heard it on the Fourth of July ( summer versus winter). We found the sound very enjoyable... like listening to a very expensive woofer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's In Fireworks? [ 1 Answers ]

Currently make flash powder compositions using simple chemicals. My supplier is away and its coming up 2 fireworks day, I told my friends I would show them a simple flash composition but I can't now. Although I now think I could strip a firework and use the black powder contained inside. Would...

What Is The Structure Of Fireworks [ 1 Answers ]

Currently make flash powder compositions using simple chemicals. My supplier is away and its coming up 2 fireworks day, I told my friends I would show them a simple flash composition but I can't now. Although I now think I could strip a firework and use the black powder contained inside. Would...

Cats and fireworks [ 1 Answers ]

My cats are terrified by the loud noises. I started last night making sure that they were inside all day and night. Please remember to keep your cats/kittens as safe and secure around the fireworks and their noise as much as possible.

View more questions Search