Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonie Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 02:19 AM
    Paid in capital treasury stock
    I'm looking over this illustration and I don't get why would PIC TS would be there.

UC Company originally issued 15,000 shares of $1 par, common stock for $25 per share. Record the journal entry for the following transaction:
    June 1st Sold 500 shares of its Treasury Stock for $30 per share.

Cash (500 x $30)=======15,000
    =======Treasury stock (500 x $28)=======14,000
    =======Paid-in capital treasury stock======1,000

UC Company originally issued 15,000 shares of $1 par, common stock for $25 per share. Record the journal entry for the following transaction:
    Oct. 15th Sold 300 shares of its Treasury Stock for $9 per share.

Cash (300 x $9)================2,700
    ===Treasury stock (300 x 28)===============8400
    Paid in capital treasury stockPaid in capital treasury stock ===1000 <----????1000 <----??
    R.E. ========================4700

May 28, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Help?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 12:39 AM
    You need to learn to be patient. Everyone here is volunteers and have lives outside of this place. People answers questions when they have the time.

The treasury stock has to be removed from the account at the same amount it went in for. Apparently the company purchased it at $28, but I don't know where they got that information from. If they re-sell it for higher, the "extra" they get is additional paid-in capital (in this case, from the sale of treasury stock). If they sell it for lower than they paid (i.e. less than $28), that difference still has to go some place. If there is anything already in the PIC T/S account, it is taken back out, to the extent of what is in there. i.e. There's only $1000 in there, so only $1000 can be taken back out. (The $1000 is from the prior entry and apparently there is nothing else in there. But again, I don't know where this information is actually coming from, because it is not presented in the problem. I'm only picking up what I see in the answer.)

Jun 1, 2008, 08:10 PM
    I don't have problem being patient but this is summer course and I need help ASAP. BTW, I didn't read your entire post just the first sentence but I already figured out the answer. Thank nonetheless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting for treasury stock used in stock dividend [ 1 Answers ]

How do I account for treasury stock use in a stock dividend for preferred stock? What would the journal entry by? I don't believe I should debit retained earnings for this transaction, but I'm not sure what account to debit. Please Help

Treasury Stock [ 1 Answers ]

When using the cost method to account for treasury stock, how do you account for the commissions and fees paid? Are they expensed or charged to treasury stock?

Treasury stock [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me if I have figured this out correctly. On March 1, Joe's Bistro required 600 shares of common stock at $10 per share. Joe's Bistro sold all of the treasury shares on November 15 for $ 12 per share. The entry to record the sale on November 15 would include a credit to...

Hi I need some help on this question. Prepare in journal form the following entries. 1 Oct 1 Purchased 1,000 shares of it's own $2 par value common stock for $20 per share, the current market price 2. Sold 250 shares of treasury stock purchased on Oct 1 for $25 per share. 3. Sold 400 shares of...

Are dividends paid on treasury stock?

View more questions Search