Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geektb Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2006, 05:07 PM
    Humidity and Oil Heating
    Hello,

We have oil heating and our windows are always fogged up with a good amount of condensation when the heater is on. We are now starting to see red mold forming on the bottom of the window panes.

The normal winter humidity level in the house is usually around 65%. Is that too high? Is there a way to stop or limit the condensation?

(It's been extremely cold and dry in the last 3 days, and although the heater is on even more, there is no condensation on the windows - humidity is only at 45%).

Thanks,

geektb
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2006, 09:22 PM
    What type of windows do you have, double pane, storm windows, etc. A fairly well sealed house with single pane window is going to fog up. Breathing seating, cooking, houseplants, bathing, laundry, etc. add moisture to the house. In coming cold, outside air drives moisture out. Best thing might be to add storm windows and keep more heat in the house. You could also use bath or kitchen vents more to expel moisture. 65% shouldn't be too high. With the inner window not as cold after adding storms, you should get less condensation and mold.
    geektb Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 09:32 PM
    We have single pane windows that are completely not insulated. I was thinking that our next big project would be to either replace the windows or install panes. Do you happen to know which approach is cheaper? These are the original windows and I like the way they look, but can live without the constant breeze.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2006, 07:18 AM
    I don't see prices of stuff, but I am sure adding storm windows is going to be both cheaper and easier than new windows. If you like the looks of your current windows, and they seal fairly tight, and are in good shape, I would keep them and add storms. You may even be able to find them with the newer coated glass that helps hold the heat. The storm windows go on the outside, and will change the appearance of the trim around the windows, but not the inside. I have read that storms do as good of a job or better at retaining heat than double pane windows.

The one advantage of new windows is the opportunity to seal and insulate between the windows and the walls, a detail often skipped in the past.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement heating [ 10 Answers ]

I was wondering if it is feasible to use an existing water heater to supply some baseboard or fan coil heating in my basement. It currently is used only to heat domestic water. The water heater is electric, and it is 80 gallons. My heating system is heat pump, and the main living quarters,...

Humidity causing damage to drywall ceiling? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I live in NC and have been having a problem with the discoloration and some slight hairline cracking on the ceiling of our garage. During the summer it is extremely humid in the garage and I have noticed there are a couple of long thin strips on the celing that are slightly discolored...

Tips on controlling hair in humidity ? / frizz [ 1 Answers ]

My hair was "good" when I lived in NY years ago, but now since I've lived in FL, give it a few minutes in the humidity and my perfectly styled hair gets frizzy, especially on the sides. I feel like bozo if I'm outside too long. I've tried so many products, but without spending $$ on tiny little...

Heating and air [ 1 Answers ]

How do I rewire a furnace so that the air works the blower

Heating Acronyms [ 3 Answers ]

Morning everyone! This is a trivial question and doesn't really have to do with my own home, but I was still sure somebody on here would know this. I'm trying to figure out something that's on my Uniform Residential Appraisal Report, under the "TYPE of HEATING" section. There are three choices...

View more questions Search