Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    willy281 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 12:33 PM
    208v 3-Phase
    Hello,
    We have a 208v 3-phase panel in our server room filled with 20amp circuits. We would like to change them to 30amp circuit that goes to the twist lock circuits so we can plug in bigger equipment. If all possible. What I can’t figure out is how many 30-amp circuits we can get in the 208v 3-phase panel.

Willy281
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Each dedicated 30 amp 208 volt circuit will use a 2 pole breaker.

What also needs to be done is calculate the total new load of all the circuits to be sure the main feeder for this panel can handle the new total load.

Allow 80% capacity of the feeder rating, if 200 amp allow 160 amps max load, for example.

I have found in real server rooms, the actual load ranges between 50- 70% of nameplate KW rating. Best to use KVA if available. Check your equipment before installing more load if possible. Check afterwards. Try to use PDU strips in racks that have an amp meter in each. APC makes these.

When increasing KW load in a server room, also plan on needing more cooling.

My experience is exclusive electrician for a banking data center, with 1000 KVA genset and double ended redundant 1200 amp service , ranges between Tier 2 & Tier 3 level, among several other smaller server rooms and DR sites.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between single phase and 3-phase motors [ 4 Answers ]

Difference between single phase and 3-phase motors

2-phase vs 3-phase degrees of separation [ 5 Answers ]

At work we have 3-phase power. I understand the oscillations are 120 degrees apart. At home I have 2-phase power. Are the oscillations 180 degrees apart? I understand the neutral on a 240v circuit should carry 0 as the phases cancel each other out. My real question is that if we have a...

How am I going to size my 3 phase X'mer with 1 phase load using current as reference [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm Peping: I have 90 pieces of single phase loads with current of 2 Amperes. This will be loaded to a 3 phase transformer, Wye connected having a line to line voltage of 220 Volts. What will be the size of the transformer required for the mentioned loads? Many thanks, Peping

208v single phase wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect a 208v single phase appliance to my home circuit panel? I installed a 30amp breaker which has 2 connections, red and black (hot), then I have white (neutral), and green for ground. The device only as 2 connectors not 3, plus ground? Thanks

120v/208v single phase appliance wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased a coffee machine that has the above reqts. I understand that it has 220 and 110v circuits that need power. I also purchased a generator to power this brewer outside. If I use a NEMA L14-30P plug, to connect into the generator, What is the sequence of wiring for the plug three...

View more questions Search