Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wendyroo2 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 04:42 AM
    Electric again
    Oh my gosh I am going nuts,first I thought it was fixed.

Had the Electric Company come ,they fixed their problem, but they say now all my stuff is pretty well shot outside at the pole.

Inside if Im on the computer and the heat or fridge turns on all the lights get real real dim computer shuts off.

It Nuts 2 days before Thanksgiving,aaahhhhh, I can't afford to hire any one,we live day by day, I Need Help And Fast
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 05:03 AM
    Sorry about your problem.

What do you mean "your stuff is shot". Need to know more details about this.

You had gotten back that a plug for your pool was the problem. How is this related? Is your pool plug at the meter or main disconnect?

The symptoms you list are typical of a loose connection somewhere, probalby at the main disconnect.

Can you provide pictures?

Do you have any ability or tools to work on this yourself>

Working on a Main disconnect is very dangerous.

While we may speculate what the problems may be, only you or someone that can open this equipment with the proper tools and voltage tester can trouble shoot this problem.

Please get back with more detail and hopefully pictures so we can help best we can.

Nov 21, 2007, 04:49 AM
    Good morning,
    I had a man here to look at the pole,out side,he said from the top of the poledown is shot,we are responsible for that,it all is so old that he saidt here was nothing he could do,I can get pictures if you still need them,the circuit breaker box which is in my kids closet,is so out dated he said the were ban from being sold any more,I am so deppressed.abot this we have no money to fix any of it
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 06:04 AM
    Again, sorry for your dilemma. Owning a home does come with the responsibilities of maintaining the mechanical systems, and it never fails, things like water heaters bursting, furnaces breaking, roofs leaking, all happen at the worst time.

Sounds like it is so old and maybe beyond repair. Plus there may be existing issues that will need to be brought up to code when the service is replaced, such as the fuse or circuit breaker panel is no longer allowed to be located in a closet, and the local inspector will require it to be relocated.

Pictures would help us see how old it is, possibly what kind of damages or wear there is, and possibly what can be done.

Unless there is someone in your circle of family or friends that is capable of doing electrical repairs, I see no other choice of hiring an electrician to repair or replace the pole mounted service, as this is very critical, there are several things to consider as this must be done properly with the proper materials, tools, equipment and knowledge.

We here cannot explain every small detail involved to replace an electric service.

While unlikely, perhaps there is a contractor that will do the work and accept monthly payments, or perhaps you can get an equity loan on the home. Or perhaps there is some state agency that will offer low interest loans.

This is time to "think outside the box", be creative in finding help.

If the electric service does not get repaired, and the flickering and dimming is allowed to continue, you take the chance of causing more damage to your appliances, computer, pool, etc.

I wish I could be of more help.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 08:28 AM
    I would go back and recheck that plug and anything else you are comfortable working on with the disconnect off. Look for bad connections. If you don't find anything, then call an electrician for a quote. You shouldn't have to pay for an estimate. Where is your meter? I didn't think I was responsible for anything before it.
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 07:06 PM
    OK, I got your email with the pictures. I hope you sent it to tkrussell too. He is the one whose answers you can count on. I am not an electrician, and I can't say if I am local if I don't know where you are. I don't climb poles or mess with hot circuits.

Does the power come down the pole and then underground to the trailer? If it goes up the pole and over to a pipe on the trailer, then I am afraid it is your wire and your responsibility. Unless there is a splice at the top, I don't see ratty old insulation causing your current problems. It could short out and call on the fuses to do their job some rainy night.

As I said in my last post, I don't think there is much you can do except check the connections that you can cut power too. Even with the disconnect off, the wires to it are still hot.

You might post the brand and model of the inside breaker box.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 09:37 PM
    If comfortable with Meters, Ther're are 2 common methods to Trace.
    First one is following hot legs and measure in and out of lugs, connections, and breakers, and see where you are losing voltage.
    Another method Measure each circuit from each breaker, with BOTH hots.
    IF breaker and Buss is good, you should read about 0 on 1 phase and 240 on the other phase. The higher the number from the Zero, the worse the connection.
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2007, 06:22 AM
    Well, Labman, I guess you're the chosen one, if you received the pictures I asked for.

I cannot help anyone that choses not to cooperate with me.

Maybe I should stopping telling people the way it is and start telling them what they want to hear... ahhhhh Na, why change now.

Nov 22, 2007, 08:06 AM
    I'm sorry nothing personal,I just get confused with this site,if you send me a email other then this site I willgladly send you the pictures I think you all are great,can you let the lab man know I'm in east concord ny
    Thank you
    Thank you all
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Let's try adding the pictures here.

Click on Answer this Question button. At the top of the white field that you type in you will see a little picture of a paperclip. Click on the paperclip, and another window will pop up, here you can browse your computer to find the pictures you would like to post.

The pictures will then be added to your new post.

Hope this makes sense.

Otherwise, if it is easier send all your pictures to [email protected],
    And I can add them so others can see and help.

If you have any questions about how to use this site, ask questions in Forum Help, between the administrators, moderators, and many others here, someone will help you use this site.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2007, 12:37 PM
    I agree, If TK and others could see, it would be very helpful. Some say he is the only one to trust. I think, the more eyes the better. Good Luck. Happ ThanksGiving
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Yes Strat, I always will agree with more eyes the better. I can miss things just like anyone else, and I really appreciate the perspective of others.

Still waiting for pictures thou.

Without those, all we can do is guess, and you know what I think of that.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Nov 23, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Maybe labman can post them?
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Maybe now Thanksgiving is over she will send the pictures to the rest of you. I messed around some more with them and still can't send them anywhere else. Yahoo is constantly fiddling with their mail, and every time they ''improve'' it, it is slower and less functional.

I am not sure they are much help. There is one showing the bottom half of the pole. You have the meter with a cable going up the pole to ? Below the meter is a rusty old box with several cables going down into the ground, one of which is tied to the nipple between the box and meter with a rope. The picture is too dark to follow the black cables.

The second is a close up of the box. Upper left is a disconnect, the kind you pull out to gain access to the fuses. To the right is a screw in fuse. Below is a large plug, perhaps for the dryer and an unused duplex outlet. My bet is the box has been hanging there for years with the cover off and has corroded old wiring in it. It may not even be exterior grade.
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Does not sound like we can be of much help, other than suggesting a contractor be hired.

But the pics will help with better understanding and definite advice.

Well, we have done all we can. I know Labman has tried to send me the pics, with no luck.

Not sure what else can be done, except sit and wait for Wendy.
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Wendy, where are you?

Are you all set with your problem?

I know you were looking at the answers this morning, moderators know all and see all!

If you are all set, let us know.

Nov 25, 2007, 03:22 AM
    I sent the pictures,did you get them? You have all been great I can't thank you enough:) ,my husband is going to mess around today with a ground? That looks pretty messed up,I guess all I need now is your prayers,this really stinks with the holidays right around the corner ,the money just isn't there,I do believe in prayer,so if you all can help that way great
    Again thank you and happy holidays
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Yes I got the pictures. I adjusted them a bit. You have a real mess. The panel looks fine, but the pole service is, to say the least, a bit worn out. I really don't see much you can do other than looking for loose connections is the fuse box.

I suspect the pullout fuses may be the primary cause, the jaws that the pullout fuseholder plugs into are popular for loose connections. To work on that, the meter must be pulled to kill the power, as the line side of this fuse is live with the meter set in place.
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 07:45 AM
    As I have already posted, I got the pictures, but didn't learn much from them. I think tkrussell got them on my second try to forward them. I didn't send them to Stratmando because I don't have his email. I don't think you can forward things from the form on this site. I am sorry I have unfairly tarred him with the same brush as some others here. I want to publicly say I have found his posts reliable. He may not know as much as tkrussell, but he sticks to what he knows, which is very critical. He reads the questions too. He wasn't the one that last night gave an explanation of a 3 way switch in a question about 4 way switches.

Your problem sounds to me like bad connections. We still don't know what is at the top of the pole. If there are splices up there, the man may have been right. If not the problem may be where your husband can find and fix it. Pulling that disconnect should, but may not kill every thing in that box except the feed to the disconnect. A meter is always nice, but eyeballs, a screwdriver, and a pocket knife may be enough to find and fix a bad connection. Look for blackened stuff and signs of arcing.

In the end, the best advice in this thread maybe about being creative if finding a way to afford a professional. If you rent, the landlord may be responsible. If newly purchased, the seller may have to fix existing defects.
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2007, 07:50 AM
    I sometimes wonder about the times on here. Tk's post wasn't there when I started my post, and it didn't take me most of an hour. If the hot side of the disconnect is where the probl them is, it will take somebody authorized to remove the meter to fix it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

New electric service [ 1 Answers ]

What size wire for a 400' run to a 200 amp service

Die-electric? [ 1 Answers ]

Does the code require die-electric unions for a gas water heater? 30 gallon tall . Oh sorry... I'm in columbus Ohio.

View more questions Search