Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miafrond Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 08:47 AM
    I'm a homeowner with a tenant oral agreement what's my right to end the oral agreeme
    I am a homeowner who shares 1 room to my sister for 5 months.and pay me $500.00 all bills paid. Oral agreement. However she became irrational and violent to the point of threatening to kill my family. I have the case no.of the incident. She is in the process of moving but we changed the lock. I'm usually home to let her in. She called the cop and the cop insisted that she has the right to have the key. What's our right to protect ourselves?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 05:59 AM

Moved from Forum Help to Real Estate Law.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 06:07 AM

Hello m:

You have the same rights as a landlord WITH a written agreement. It's just going to be harder for you to PROVE what's in there.

You tenant has the same rights too. That means she CAN'T be locked out. If you DO that, she can sue you for illegal eviction.

If you want her out, you need to evict her according to your state landlord/tenant law. We have copies of them at the top of the real estate page on a sticky note.

excon
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 06:27 AM

excon is right mia. If she was staying there for free you could lock her out but since you have a rental agreement, you're stuck with having to go through the eviction process in most states.

Tell us what state you're in and we'll help you find the landlord tenant laws for that state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No lease oral agreement [ 1 Answers ]

I(Chico, CA-house location) no longer have a lease with my brother. He is coming Tuesday, he let me know through a text Thursday, to kick me out and call the police on me to throw me out. My brother claimed if he had more money he could save his house from foreclosure in December. My mother(Red...

Oral Agreement [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a house in Sept 2001 as an investment property. The person I bought it from wanted to continue living there so I rented it out to her. I have put the house on the market and she now claims that we had an "Oral Agreement" for her to rebuy the house. This wasn't the case, but without getting...

Unfullied Oral Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

I agreed to co-sign for a car for a friend to help re-establish her credit under the condition that she would refinance the auto note no later than 6 months after the purchase of the car to remove the me from the car note. After the 6 month period elapsed I in several occasions requested that she...

Oral Agreement [ 6 Answers ]

I moved out of province, and had to sell everything. A friend of mine agreed to pay for a bedroom suite, in 5 payments. She made 2 payments, and will not answer my calls, or emails. It is not a large amount that she owes me. Yet I feel very jilted. I need all I can get to start my new life. Is...

View more questions Search