Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    btucker Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Raising Poles
    I am going to sink 6x6 posts that are 16' long. I intend to put them 4 ' in the ground and then concert them. They must have correct placement within a 1/4 inch. I have a fifty horse tractor and a small bomb pole. Other than that I might have one or two men to help me. Any suggestions about how to stand them up and place them? I have 14 of them to place for a pole barn.
    cgregory67 Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Jan 27, 2008, 11:34 AM
    You DON'T want to put concrete around the poles. Auger or dig your 4' holes, mix one 60 lb bag of concrete and pour in bottom of holes as footers. After concrete sets place pole in hole (2 men can do this easily) , nail 2x4's at a right angle to each other about midway up pole (don't nail all the way in) and then make 2x4 spikes to pound in ground at ends 2x4 touch the ground. I adjusted and secured poles this way as I lifted them into the hole. Use a post level and adjust where the right angle 2x4's are holding post in an upright position exactly where you want them. Once skirts are in place and side supports are being installed, you can start using a winch between posts or attached to your tractor to pull within the ¼ you desire.

To secure post you can backfill with soil or pea gravel works nicely NOT concrete. Many have done it this way in the past but it has been found the concrete holds moisture around post, this causes the post to waterlog and turn to mush eventually sheering off or sink.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cgregory67
    You DON’T want to put concrete around the poles. Auger or dig your 4’ holes, mix one 60 lb bag of concrete and pour in bottom of holes as footers. After concrete sets place pole in hole (2 men can do this easily) , nail 2x4’s at a right angle to each other about midway up pole (don’t nail all the way in) and then make 2x4 spikes to pound in ground at ends 2x4 touch the ground. I adjusted and secured poles this way as I lifted them into the hole. Use a post level and adjust where the right angle 2x4’s are holding post in an upright position exactly where you want them. Once skirts are in place and side supports are being installed, you can start using a winch between posts or attached to your tractor to pull within the ¼ you desire.

To secure post you can backfill with soil or pea gravel works nicely NOT concrete. Many have done it this way in the past but it has been found the concrete holds moisture around post, this causes the post to waterlog and turn to mush eventually sheering off or sink.
    Yeah two men and a 16' 6" x 6", not impossible, but difficult at best.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jan 28, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Can a cement truck make it to the site? I'd be really tempted to use sono tube footings with poured concrete. With a string line and construction level you can get the posts exactly where you want them. Hilti hit or grout good quality post bases into the sonotube (I'd drill them in after the concrete has set for accuracy) and use the construction level again as a final check to make sure the post tops are exactly level with each other

Jan 30, 2008, 10:49 PM
    I have built numerous pole barns for years

You really shouldn't encase the posts in concrete for many reasons. First the post will absorb all the moisture out of the concrete. Second the wood will, overtime, take what is called a compression set and cause a crack which will let all the bad things happen to wood that makes it rot quickly. Posts should be held above the ground and above the concrete with brackets or saddles. This allows for air flow that will keep it as dry a possible. If you must bury the posts... for rigidity and strength... fill the hole with stone so it can be compacted and will drain.

Research this and you will see from experience of others what I say is true.

Jan 31, 2008, 06:49 AM
    The problem with your suggestion is that I live near the Guld of Mexico and winds can get pretty strong. I do not think placing rocks around the post will provide the hold this building will need.

Jan 31, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Oh yeah. Also thi sarea has a lot of gound moisture. Even after a period of no rain one can dig a hole and it fills with water. So it seems the concrete will be dryer than the ground around it. It would also take a long drought to be able to pour a pad in the bottom of the hole.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 09:04 AM
    I am afraid that a concrete footing followed with a concrete casing will create a concrete jug that will hold water in the wood. You are using pressure treated lumber rated for under ground I hope. Most of the PT sold in home centers is not rated for under ground use. We backfill the holes with pee gravel.

Jan 31, 2008, 08:00 PM
    As I suggested earlier, if you use pea gravel to backfill the post will be as solid as if you put concrete around it. You will be very surprised!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who's raising the children and why? [ 19 Answers ]

Manabo's question https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/ethics/do-you-think-society-has-gotten-stupider-26589.html has brought me to another question. What are your beliefs on who raises your children? -who has primary care over the children -who's morals are our children growing up with -why are...

How to calculate the number of lighting poles [ 2 Answers ]

Here is the question: "How many 120V, two wire, 20 ampere branch circuits are required to supply 52 parking lot lights, which are rated 500va each and are continuous loads?" I am getting ~ 14, but the answer in the book is 18 Can you help?

Raising in Arizona [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the song in Raising in Arizona when Felicity is telling Noel about Ben getting Lauren pregnant and Ben walks in on them. Thanks so much:)

Raising rent [ 3 Answers ]

In California, is there any limit as to how much a landlord can raise the rent and how much advance notice must the tenant be given?

2 poles geometry [ 2 Answers ]

This is a popular problem but I have not seem to find the solution to it and I am in desperate need of help. Two Poles Problem.. Two poles are 30 ft and 20 ft tall and are perpendicular to level ground. The two poles are 40 ft apart along the ground. If wires are attached to the top of each...

View more questions Search