Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ally101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Husky doent like lab
    Hi I have a 1 yr old lab and just bought a 8 week old husky. My lab is very hyper and never lays down so I showed the dogs each other the lab loved her but the husky growled and showed teeth. What could I do to help them get used to each other
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Usually an 8 week old welcomes any dog willing to play with it. At that age, I can hardly blame the breeder for a lack of socialization. Do you know if the litter stayed together with the mother until at least 6 weeks? That is very important if a puppy is going to get along with other dogs.

You might try restraining the Lab, either on leash or a tie down-a short length of chain with a snap on the end. Allow the Husky to approach it as it chooses. I have always been pleased by how well younger and older puppies do together.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2007, 06:25 AM
    This is just a complete reversal of what normally happens. Usually the older dog can't handle the young willful puppies. I know how hyper and pushy young labs can be at that age. But, it appears your very young husky is correcting an older dog. Most unusual. Usually when puppies as young as yours are overwhelmed or uncomfortable, they whine and "complain." Labman, when you get a moment, will you please attach your links to your "sticky" here and your leadership info? I think that ally will benefit from both.

Ally, when labman does post those things I mentioned, please read through them. They are chock full of great info. Right now, above everything else, you need to remind the husky that she is #3 in the pack ranking. Feed your lab first. Whenever you come in, show attention to your lab first. Always put the lab ahead of the husky for everything. Since this husky is as young as she is, you can work her through this and get her to accept the lab as her packmate if you have a good understanding of your role as the leader of pack. When your vet tells you that she is old enough (6 months), prior to her first heat cycle (7 or 8 months), I would recommend you have her spayed. If she is showing aggressive and dominant tendencies now, as it appears she is doing, it should help. By the way, on labman's "sticky" he has a list of excellent books. One of them, "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson, is a wonderful resource for understanding how dogs interpret everything around them and will help you in positively correcting any negative behavior within your pack. You can purchase it secondhand on the internet, or find a copy in your local library.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Maybe I was too puzzled by the reversed roles to see the leadership problem. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Being a sticky, it is always at the top of the page, but here is a link, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

There's this boy, but he doent really know who I am and its depressing. [ 1 Answers ]

So there is this boy who is in my bestfriends homeroom. He plays soccer just like me, he's adorable! I just can't get over him, and its getting to me. For the last week and a couple of days I've been feeling depressed.:( But I've also been creeping on Facebook, and I have seen that he's...

Husky Power Washer [ 2 Answers ]

How do you remove a broken wand that is inside the spray nozzle?

Husky with recent surgery [ 2 Answers ]

My Husky just had recent surgery to remove a mass found adjacent to her rectum area. We thought at first it might have been a abcessed anal gland; however, antibiotics did not work to resolve the problem. She underwent surgery on Wednesday. They let me take her home the first day with very...

Husky Power Washer [ 1 Answers ]

Newly purchased replacement sprayer wand will not insert far enough to allow a twist and lock into place.

My Husky will not eat! [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old Husky who was diagnosed with Blastomycosis a few weeks ago. My vet put him on Intraconazole. After a few days, he started eating a little bit of beef, porkchops and chicken. After a few days his appetite became a little better and would eat a few bites several times a day. ...

View more questions Search