Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarkOz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 10:47 PM
    Cannot locate main water supply slab home
    I was totlally replacing an old toilet tank's inner flsuh and fill system (Fluidmaster set) and of course had turned the water supply valve off located under the toilet against the wall. Upon turing it back on, it leaked like crazy---which on an old home and plubling is not unusual. No problem. I call Handyman plumber Dave to replace the valve.

My house is a mid 60s built slab foundation. We looked to turn off the main water supply to the house of course (Sunday morning), but couldn't find it.

In a central hall closet on the floor, there are 5 valves that simply control water flow to the radiant heat system. In the garage where the water heater and boiler are located---where I thought we would find it, we could not find it (we left the faucet run in the bathroom to test if we were finding it). The garage is in the rear of the home, wit a bedroom on the other side, the street side. In between is a small laubdray room where the washer dryer are jammed in and its water supply on the wall over the top of those units.

Obviously in that street side bedroom there is no main water valve entry to shut off. We are both perplexed at this point.

There is not a traditional water meter outside the house--instead its on some contraption the Water Co. installed so they can read electronically over the water pipe hole further down in the yard that they can also open to turn the water supply on and off.

Am I stuck calling the Water Company each time to do this, or am I nuts?? Thanks in advance and I'll acknowledge your replies.

The home is located in St Louis Missouri.
    MarkOz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 11:03 PM

And a follow up to my question, after doing some more reading--is it possible that the Main Water Supply Valve for the whole house is actually located at the Boiler unit that drives the radiant heat system? We focused around the water heater for a solution--but after that backed off in liue of my calling the original builder (who still builds home here) and/or the Water CO.

Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where is a good location for a hot water tank on the main water supply line [ 3 Answers ]

I have moved my hot water tank to a new location in the basement. The new location is closer to the main water line. The best way for me to describe it is; from the street to my house to the water meter and from the water meter I have 7ft. Of 3/4" pipe. I want to run a 1/2" pipe to my hot water...

Supply line won't stop running. Main water supply off [ 3 Answers ]

I was doing some bathroom remodeling and attempted to remove an old supply valve. It would not budge so I decided to cut the copper tubing underneath it and put on a new shutoff valve with a compression fitting. The problem is that water just kept coming out of that supply line. The main water...

How to located main DWV on slab home [ 3 Answers ]

I cannot find the main DWV for my home to have the it snaked out. We are having sewage coming up through a floor drain and while we have looked outside it is not there.

Shutting off hot water heater and main water supply [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a cabin that has well water and a hot water heater that is run off the oil furnace. I shut off the well tank when I left but forgot to shut off the hot water heater. Does anyone know if I can damage the heater by having the main water shut off and leaving the water heater on?

View more questions Search