Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needhlpinaz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 07:02 AM
    Sued for $1100? Really?
    Hi. I am in Arizona and I was served with court papers from JK Law Office, apparently they purchased this debt. Anyway, it is for like $1100! Seems to me that it would cost them more to go after it then it would benefit them.

I may have missed the deadline to respond and I do not have the filing fee anyway, so I was wondering if you have ever heard of a collector being successful and following through with such a small suit before? I remember reading somewhere that even if they get a default judgment, they usually do nothing about it, they are just trying to scare you into paying.

Any help or advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time. :o
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 07:08 AM
    Wow, $1100.00 is a small suit, you think that it deserved to be written off??

Yes they can collect, yes they can have your wages garnished, I don't understand why you believe this is frivolous.
    needhlpinaz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 07:41 AM

I do not believe I used the word frivolous at all. I also do not believe I said I thought it should be written off. Seems to me you are reading a whole lot more into my question than is really there. Thanks for your attempt to answer.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by needhlpinaz View Post
    Hi. I am in Arizona and I was served with court papers from JK Law Office, apparently they purchased this debt. Anyway, it is for like $1100! Seems to me that it would cost them more to go after it then it would benefit them.

I may have missed the deadline to respond and I do not have the filing fee anyway, so I was wondering if you have ever heard of a collector being successful and following through with such a small suit before? I remember reading somewhere that even if they get a default judgment, they usually do nothing about it, they are just trying to scare you into paying.

Any help or advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time. :o
    Sounds like you believe the lawsuit is frivolous to me.

If you believe that you shouldn't be responsible for your debt, you were hoping that the company would write it off, because you believe that this is a small amount not worthy of their efforts to collect. I would imagine that if that did that for you, they would have to do that for many. Not making money, writing off debts is not how a company makes money.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 08:54 AM

What kind of debt is this, when was the last activity on the debt. Debt Laws -- State Statutes -- Arizona
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 09:19 AM

Like Justwantfair pointed out, your thinking is very dangerous. I have no idea why you feel $1,100 is a "small" debt in any way. It certainly wouldn't cost them more because if they win, YOU have to reimburse their court costs and attorney's fees. This is going to cost you more in the long run.

Like ballengerb asked, we need to know what type of debt it was and when the last activity on the account was(payments and/or charges).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane XL-1100 [ 3 Answers ]

My unit will run one heating cycle, achieve the desired temp and kick off. When the thermostat calls for the next cycle it will fire up and blow heat for maybe one minute or not at all! I will then have to turn off the thermostat several times and back to heat to make it come on. I replaced the...

Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am...

Inspiron 1100 Battery [ 2 Answers ]

My battery recharges but doesn't hold out very long. The battery indicator light, the LED blinks three times amber and one time green. Wondering if the battery needs replacing or is there something wrong with the PC. Any clue?

View more questions Search