Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lordwispa Posts: 77, Reputation: 2

Aug 25, 2008, 08:57 PM
    Homemade 12v vaporiser
    MK, since I have several electronic gods responding, maybe I'll ask more directly.
    I'm trying to make a portable 12volt vaporiser, tey normally sell for hundreds and I want to make some good money while at the same time helping people (at least) not smoke.
    The idea is a box containing a heated patch to evaporate different things at different temperatures so the (lets a say for example nicotine),nicotine evaporates off leaving the tobacco leaf remaining. You don't need to burn the plant to inhale the desired chemicals.
    So I'm trying to either use a pyrex tube with nichrome wrapped round and a knob to set it to different temperatures OR A similar affair using a car lighter, it has to function away from the vehicle.Many plans are on the net but they use 240 and as an exsmoker myself I can see the use of such a device.(even though inhaling vapors probably still isn't healthy).So if there are any good suggestions or alternatives to constructing such a device(hopefully cheaply) mine ears are open
    Thanks Guys!!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 10:15 PM
    OK, here's a few things to consider:

1. A lighter socket might be good for 120 W (12 V * 10A)
    2. PWM can be used to control temperature. PWM controllers
    For 10 A, 12V are available in kit form for , $25. No temp control.
    3. You;ll probably need more than 120 W
    4. Not much more heat than a 100 W light bulb.
    5. Higher power requires direct battery connection.
    6.Battery alternators 40 A or higher if upgraded + you have to deal with the car.
    7. Outside the car would require a deep cycle battery which would be HEAVY and BIG. As the battery depletes, so does the voltage and available power.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 31, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Hello lordwispa

My wife is a beautician, and has all kind of such equipment.
    I had a look at one of the vaporisers, and it is a thermostat controlled 220 Volt 1000 Watt model. Logical also, of course, as vaporizing water requires high power.
    Now - though the application you mention will use considerable less power - you should still look in the 100++ Watt power range. Always include a thermostat to prevent damage due to overheating.
    The reason why all the other vaporisers are in 220-240 Volt range is because of that power requirement. 12 Volt may be safe and allow portability, but running around with heavy 12 Volt car batteries does not look too promissing.

Why not do away with tobacco itself, and use small concentrated blocks of nicotine rich materials for evaporation? That would allow less powerful heating devices, consuming less electricity, making it true portable units that function from a 12 Volt power source.

Success with your plans !

:>)

Sep 4, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Hey Crevendovidis,(interesting name!), yeah, of I can't incorporate a car battery in to the design, but can I use a 240 to 12 volt transformer?-i want to sell these things at the markets and (in australia) there'd be a legal problem with an unqualified electrician selling 240 v stuff. Pity about portability, maybe I could use some kind of lighter and thermostat that regulates temperature? Hmmmm.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Sep 6, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lordwispa
    ... but can i use a 240 to 12 volt transformer?
    No : in that case go for a cheap chopping power supply : hardly any weight with high current.
    Remember : you require high power capacity over short (thermostat-regulated) periods.
    Have you already checked the power requirement you need?

:)

Sep 7, 2008, 07:43 PM
    No, I don't know how to do that, do I use maths after measuring the resistance of the car lighter? I have a multi meter, is a chopping power suply one that turns on and off rapidly?
    darthjeff2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2010, 02:37 AM
    this is what I'm planning to do to make my portabable vaporizer. Get an alotoids tin, battery powered soldering iron, and a 4 battery battery pack. DO ALL SOLDERING BEFORE YOU TAKE APART IRON, FOR OVIOUS REASONS. OK, take apart iron. Solder + and - batt. Leads to the battery pack. Cut a hole on the side of the tin and put the on/off switch there. Put the heating element in a stainless steel threaded pipe(couple of inches long). Cut a hole in the side of the tin and put some of the pipe through it. Put all of the electronics in the tin except the battery pack, that stays separate except the wires comeing out of it. Add a pipe screen to a barb hose adapter (this will be bowl) and add some surgical tubing to the adapter. This is your whip. Pack your herbs into the bowl and screw into the pipe sticking out. Make sure the element is about an inch away from the herbs. Turn on, wait for it to heat up, inhale, exale. Done =)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homemade septic tank [ 11 Answers ]

Does anyone know a cheap way to make a septic system... we have a small shop, too far from the house to connect, and would like to install a toilet in the shop, but need some kind of septic system... any suggestions? Thanks

Homemade septic system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small shop behind my house that is on a location that is not accessible to connect to my house septic tank/system. I have a toilet and sink in the shop, I was considering using a 500 gal fiberglas tank as the septic tank and running feeder/distribution lines as with a normal concrete...

Homemade puppy food? [ 9 Answers ]

So my morkie puppy(yorkie/Maltese) just recently turned 9 months... but anyway lol... I was looking up like homemade meals online for puppies didn't really find anything good... I want to make him something.. kind of like a treat but like a meal like once a week... I have boiled chicken and gave...

Who knows anything about homemade lotion [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have ingredients for a home made lotion to get a lighter skin tone

How do I seal a homemade oak table? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an oak trestle table that has not been sealed. I soak it with lemon furniture oil because it is so dry. Should the oak be sealed or rubbed with a wax to keep it from drying out? Thanks for answering.

View more questions Search