Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blue bird Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Hippa law
    My employer decided to change our personal medical insurance as most do periodically. I received a six page application with many questions concerning my personal medical history, including diagnoses; Doctor’s name dates hospitals and the list goes on.

This application provided was by the employer with threats of cancellation of my current medical coverage if did not completed and handed over to my employer. I refused to comply and requested to speak directly to an agent representing the insurance company but was denied. My employer wanted all my personal medical history to deliver to the insurance company. Of course, I refused and now without medical insurance for refusing.

Question,

Is this a violation of any hippa laws?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2007, 07:47 PM
    No there was no violation, they did not give it out without permission.

You had a choice to give it and get insurance or not give it and not get insurance. So you had the choice. Had you given them this info and they posted it on the company web site, or gave it to someone they were not suppose to, that would be a violation.

So basically your refusal to give them a insurance application, ( which they were most likely shopping the insurance to several brokers) merely means you don't get insurance.

I don't see why you refused ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Is this a HIPPA violation? [ 4 Answers ]

I worked at a hospital as director of a department. To be able to download and access particular records in the department my password was used. Tow employees used the password and when I asked the IT department to allow me to change my password they refused since the program we were using to...

HIPPA violations [ 2 Answers ]

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend. He checked himself into the hospital for alcohol detox. He was later transferred to another facility because the first facility did not have overnight accommodations for detox. Meanwhile he was assured of patient confidentiality. At that facility one of...

HIPPA in a pharmacy [ 21 Answers ]

I had my pharmacy disclose my prescription information to my supervisor. What is the statue of limitations to file a claim against the pharmacy and my former employer? The violation occurred in 9-06.

Is this a hippa violation [ 6 Answers ]

My 18 yr old daughter who still lives at home was taken to a doctor by two other family members without our knowledge. My daughter did not have a copy of the insurance card but someone somehow got the info because a claim has been filed for the visit. After the family members that took my daughter...

View more questions Search