Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    victorandjulie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 01:22 PM
    using tub & tile caulk over existing new grout between tiles
    Hi, My contractor, has applied CeramaSeal tub & tile Caulk over our new existing grout lines between our 4x4 off white ceramic tiles in our shower floor. The reason he did this is because the no sand alabaster grout dried unevenly in color. Dark and light grout lines. He blames this on the grey thinset. The sanded alabaster grout around our 13x13 shower wall tiles dried perfectly. The caulking between 4x4 tiles is even in color and looks great. My concerns are: this is a shower floor - how will it hold up, will it crack, will moisture set over the tiles (there is a nice slope to the tiles and there is a membrane under the mortar)? What about the sand, the grout under the caulk contained no sand and now the caulk contains sand? How will it hold up in cleaning? The lines are less than 1/8 of an inch, about 1/16. He used this caulking around the floor and shower seat and where the walls meet and around the drain. I have not paid him yet, since our glass doors have not been installed yet. I was very pleased with all of the work he has done up until this point. The Grout Getters recommend tub and tile caulk to be used in grout lines where the grout is old or cracking. Please advise us, we are seniors and have very little knowledge of what is correct in this situation. Thank you, victorandjulie
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 20, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Your contractor should get a grout saw and remove the bad grout. Caulk should not be used on a floor surface. It is a bit slippery and will not hold up. Regrout correctly is what you should expect. The thinset should not have affected the color of the grout if it was done correctly.
    Grout Getters Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by victorandjulie
    Hi, My contractor, has applied CeramaSeal tub & tile Caulk over our new existing grout lines inbetween our 4x4 off white ceramic tiles in our shower floor. The reason he did this is because the no sand alabaster grout dried unevenly in color. Dark and light grout lines. He blames this on the grey thinset. The sanded alabaster grout around our 13x13 shower wall tiles dried perfectly. The caulking inbetween 4x4 tiles is even in color and looks great. My concerns are: this is a shower floor - how will it hold up, will it crack, will moisture set over the tiles (there is a nice slope to the tiles and there is a membrane under the mortar)? What about the sand, the grout under the caulk contained no sand and now the caulk contains sand? How will it hold up in cleaning? The lines are less than 1/8 of an inch, about 1/16. He used this caulking around the floor and shower seat and where the walls meet and around the drain. I have not paid him yet, since our glass doors have not been installed yet. I was very pleased with all of the work he has done up until this point. The Grout Getters recommend tub and tile caulk to be used in grout lines where the grout is old or cracking. Please advise us, we are seniors and have very little knowledge of what is correct in this situation. Thank you, victorandjulie
    I would appreciate it if you would clarify which Grout Getters company (location) you are referring to.
    My company is Grout Getters and we would never put caulking in your grout joints. The grout needs to be taken out and the joints need to be cleaned before re-grouting the area.
    Thank you, Debbie
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Debbie, this post is pretty old and I doubt Victor is still monitoring it. You might consider sending him an e-mail or PM if you really want to get an answer.
    Groutman Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2010, 04:35 AM
    This sounds like a band aid and the grout should be removed and grouted properly. If you have any more questions look me up at http://www.precisiongrout.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caulk or grout [ 1 Answers ]

I just set 50 large tiles (8" X 10") above the installed fiberglass shower/tub unit/ THese tiles run along the top of the shower up to the ceiling, then along the sides in front to the floor. I had planned on grouting the tiles, with a color gout that would go well. I found a DAP product, tile...

Cleanest method of merging between tile & drywall/tile & tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there guys, I'm drywalling my tub enclosure, preparing for tile, and I've got two questions before I continue: 1) In the past, I've simply placed the rockboard/drywall line about two inches below the terminating line of tile. Is this the best way to handle this? Do you simply bevel the...

Grout, caulk or both in all tile shower stall [ 4 Answers ]

The caulk in my upstairs shower stall is looking nasty where the tile wall meets the tile floor- I removed most of the old caulk and am now running into grout- it's basically in good shape, just want it to look good and stay that way- question- should I regrout as well as recaulk- any suggestions...

Caulk vs. Grout [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm a newbie here and need to know something -- Are CAULK and GROUT the same thing?? If not, what is the difference? Thanks!

View more questions Search