Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BubbaBartz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2006, 06:53 PM
    Something Odd.. .
    Probably within the last month or so, my toilet has seemed to develop a life of its own. Every once in a while (several times a day), it seems to run for a few seconds at a time. It doesn't flush, but it has the sound of the last few seconds after you've flushed. (Am I making any sense?) I'm just wondering if this is something to be concerned about -- perhaps some parts in the tank that have become worn and need to be replaced. Could someone please give me some advice?

Thanks!
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Oct 15, 2006, 07:29 PM
    Had this in an old house once. No, not ghosts. Yes, you make perfect sense. If you hear a constant running sound and it helps to 'jiggle' the handle and it makes the sound stop, then what is happening is you either have gunk build-up on the flapper or you may just need a new flapper if old one is worn. Another problem can simply be that the chain that attaches your flapper to the handle on the inside is too long and is actually getting underneath the flapper and not making a good seal. Lift off the lid to the tank and take a look at what happens when you flush. Take a look at the chain and be sure it isn't too long and dangling under the flapper--(Flapper is the rubber part that lifts to open the tube where the water flows out and it falls back into place to 'finish' the flush.) If chain is too long you can detach it from the handle and choke up on it a bit and reattach it. Examine the flapper for gunk build up. (Gross, I know) If not chain or gunk, it just might need a new flapper as it may have been worn too bad, esp if your toilet is ancient (as mine was) from hard water or whatever. You can get one pretty simply ata hardware store.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hi this is a very odd question but please answer it [ 16 Answers ]

Hi I have shaved my pubic hair if I said to my friend I have would that be normal if I told him I have shaved it ? And would it be normal if I showed it to him as well or would he call me gay boy or think I am gay pleae answer this it is very odd question but pleasse answer it :confused:

Odd landlords [ 9 Answers ]

This is long so I apologize in advance... My significant other, daughter, and I moved into a full house with a large yard 2 months ago. We rented through a real estate agent. I specifically wanted this house because of the large yard. There have been several problems with the demands of...

Odd situation... [ 35 Answers ]

HEY GUYS! I haven't been on here in a bit, but yet again I am a "situation". I guess its not a bad one to be in though!:D The gal from Cali is home, she just got back 2 days ago, but I have yet to see/talk to her since she has been back. I think I am going to wait at least until Mon before I call...

Odd pains [ 3 Answers ]

I am 18 and I have never had this kind of pain, I am getting cramps like about to start my period but if I did it would be two and a half weeks early, and I am getting sharp pains in my vagina. Im not pregnant, because I am a virgin. So I want to ask what these pains are.

This odd thing with my ex? [ 9 Answers ]

Hey Thanks for reading this post, but I'm a little stumped on what to do with my ex girlfriend. We had only gone out for a month, which is not long at all, but she wants to keep a line of communication. I agreed, and now we talk on MSN every night. So she contacts me anytime during the night, we...

View more questions Search