Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janna11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Liable
    Is my neighbor liable for damages to my car if their curbside tree falls on my car?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2007, 06:06 AM
    It depends on where you live, where the car is parked, municipal laws and regulations about parked cars, and probably a multitude of oher things. I would say they are, but the laws may be different where you live. If it happened and you're worried about it, get a local awyer and ask them.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 8, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Unlikely as it could be seen as an act of god.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Hello j:

If your neighbor did anything negligent, he could be held liable... Things like not trimming a dead branch that's just hanging over your car and waiting to break... things like that.

But, if he DIDN'T do stuff like that, then no, he's not responsible.

It occurs to me that the curbside tree may belong to the city. Did you check?

excon
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Contacting your city hall would be your best options. They would be able to tell you their laws regarding this.
    For example in my neighborhood curbside trees belong to the city, even if you plant them, they are responsible for trimming them. By the same token they can mangle them or cut them down if they feel the need.. Our city has a law department and counsel that takes questions such as yours. By the way I am sure there is something on the books that protect the city.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 09:32 AM
    This is a maybe, first was the tree on their property, curb side could well be on city or county right of way land and not part of the neighbors deeded property.

Next what caused the tree to fall, if you ran into it, of lightning, or did he did not take care of it, which caused it to fall.

Best thing to do, turn it into your insurance and let them worry about if his homeowners will pay or not
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 10:54 AM
    If the tree in question is actually on their property, then yes. If it's beyond their property lines, then no.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who's liable? [ 1 Answers ]

Am I liable for my wife's debts if my name is not on her accounts? Sorry this has probably been asked many times

Just how liable are we? [ 2 Answers ]

Back in October, we moved into a home that we thought we would be able to buy by April, but things of course, didn't work out. All we had with the owner was a purchase agreement contingent on the sale of the house in Baltimore and acquisition of adequate funds from the sale for a down payment. ...

Who is liable? [ 3 Answers ]

A week agao I went to a garage for gas & also asked the attendant to check my oil,when I drove away about a half mile ,my hood flew up and smashed my windshield in,after pulling over ,I immediately returned to the garage ,they refuse to pay for the damages to my vehichle saying my hood ;latch must...

Who's liable - if anyone? [ 14 Answers ]

Hello: An obviously mentally handicapped individual pays for a brand new truck with $30,000 in cash. The salesman breaks into the guys home, steals $100,000 in cash, and gets caught (after the money's gone). Is the dealer liable? excon PS> Seattle PI - today.

View more questions Search