Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cknorrsmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2016, 07:43 PM
    How does a POA gain access to bank acc't to pay bills for dementia pt who refuses?
    My sister-in-law is Power of Attorney for her 78-yr-old brother in Arizona who had a health crisis and then suddenly went into confusion and dementia. Now that he is mostly recovered physically, back home with caregivers, the dementia remains and He refuses to pay his bills. What steps does his sister need to take to gain control of his savings account?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2016, 07:50 PM
    Take and give a copy of the POA to the bank. Then they can pay the bills.
    But, there is an issue, a POA by normal use (you will have to check state law where you are at) can not pay a bill that the person refuses to pay. If you want to be Sally for work Sally did, but the person says not to pay Sally, a POA can not pay a person that the original person tells you not to pay. You can merely pay for a person, if they are not able to pay.

If their mental state is so bad, you may need to go to court and have the court appoint a guardian to pay the bills, a guardian takes over the care and duties of the person when they can not do it themselves.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 14, 2016, 10:18 PM
    Agreed, a court appointed guardianship is what you need. Best done with sound legal guidance so consult an attorney.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 15, 2016, 06:58 AM
    Was the POA close ended? Did the brother ever revoke it? Assuming the POA is still in force, the sister should be able to use it to be added as a signatory on the bank account.

Otherwise she may have to apply for a conservatorship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My father died and has no one on his bank account. How do I pay the immediate bills. [ 1 Answers ]

My father had no one but my deceased mother as a bennifficiary. As the exceuter of the will how do I pay the bills for the funeral or medical bills. There is a bank account, IRA and insurance pollicy.

How does someone in Florida evict a tenant that refuses to pay rent and refuses to mo [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tenant that is not paying rent in Florida and she refuses to move from my property what can I do? What about landlord and tenants rights in the state of Florida?

My roommate and I signed a lease, he refuses to pay rent but also refuses to leave [ 4 Answers ]

What should I do if my roommate refuses to pay rent/utilities/food but also refuses to leave? His name is on the lease but he did not pay any of the rent or security deposit.

Bank has frozen my bank account and they say me that it's a lottery fraud suspense acc [ 2 Answers ]

Bank has frozen my bank account and they say me that it's a lottery fraud suspense account,but the story is that I had an advertisement agency which is unregistered and the people who work for me pays me the registration fees as 2000/3500/5000/7000 respectively and we pay them cash for their work...

I have a 1,800' long access road how far apart should I place electrical junction acc [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 1,800' access road to bring power and low voltage cables to my house. How far apart should I put access junction boxes?

View more questions Search