Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kktobias Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2004, 10:26 AM
    Operating system to start with?
    I had windows 98SE on my computer. I had to fdisk and format and then I installed Windows Xp Professional on it. The problem I have is when I reboot, it will ask me this      PLEASE SELECT THE OPERATING SYSTEM TO START

Then it gives me two options. I can click on MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL or MICROSOFT WINDOWS.

I had to click on the XP version. It will go to the windows xp operating system. Can someone please tell me why this is coming up? Did I do something wrong when formating? Etc??
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2004, 04:18 PM
    At a guess, it sounds like you may have two partitions - one with Win 98 and the other with Win XP. Go back to FDisk and see what is in there. That might clear a few things up. Also, might be worth taking a look at your boot.ini file (noramlly at C:\boot.ini). Don't change anything in here though unless you know what you are doing.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Nov 20, 2004, 01:57 AM
    Right-click My Computer, select properties, click on the Advanced tab and go to Startup and Recovery. Click on settings, then click on Edit to edit the startup options and then highlight and delete the unwanted partition. Now, just click on File and Save. When you reboot, you will only have one boot option rather than 2 boot options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mac Operating System [ 3 Answers ]

Currently using Mac OS8.6... Is there a download available to OS 9

Winxp pro-please select the operating system to start [ 2 Answers ]

I did what I thought was a clean install of xp pro --I think it has installed itself on both the C and D partitions --if so can this be easily fixed or will I have to re-install and re- activate with Microsoft again??

No Operating System [ 7 Answers ]

I have a IBM 390X laptop, and the computer has successfully completed the hard disk data wiping process. Al Data on the computer is now unrecoverable. The computer is designed for win98, and I have a CD Windows 98 Second Edition. What are the steps I need to take to get this computer working...

Which operating system to start with? [ 4 Answers ]

I had windows 98SE on my computer. I had to fdisk and format and then I installed Windows Xp Professional on it. The problem I have is when I reboot, it will ask me this PLEASE SELECT THE OPERATING SYSTEM TO START Then it gives me two options. I can click on MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP...

View more questions Search