Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fred Cox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 09:01 AM
    Court fees etc.
    My landlord charged me a late fee and a court fee for last months rent. I paid the rent on time but used a personal check. I went on vacation for a week out of town. Rent is due by 5th; I submitted check on the 4th; left for vacation on 6th; landlord returned check on 7th with late notice and notice stating no personal checks are allowed; landlord issued a delingquent notice along with court fee notice on 11th; I returned from vacation on the 13th and read all documents; paid rent and late fee on 14th; landlord insists I pay court fee also. Am I being unreasonable in asking that I not pay this court fee? I was out of town and didn't get the notice to be able to respond.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Did you know that personal checks weren't accepted? If so, then you have no excuse.

If, however, you were not informed about this, (i.e. this was your first payment), then I would tell the landlord to sue you for them. Tell him you think it was unreasonable for him to take you to court when you had paid the rent and where unaware of the rule.

Of course doing so could cause bad feelings between you and if you plan on living there for a while, it might be better to bite the bullet.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 10:11 AM
    Hello Fred:

While Scott is right, he's a much better bullet biter than I am.

In the very first instance, you PAID your rent ON TIME. I can not imagine what this landlord sued you for SEVEN days after receiving your check. He must be some kind of jerk.

If he wants to evict you for THIS, you better not pass gas very loudly. If it were me, I would tell him to stick his court fees where the sun don't shine, and move. But, that's just me.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2006, 11:03 AM
    This whole thing does sound kind of strange. First, why wouldn't a landlord accept a personal check? Its not like he doesn't know where you live. Second, why wouldn't the tenant not know that personal checks weren't accepted. This would have been spelled out in the lease or at least at the time the lease was signed. I would imagine the security deposit would also have not been by personal check. If this provision was changed, notice should have been given. If this was the first month, as seems likely, then it seems odd that the landlord would not have given some leeway. There is also the question of whether the landlord knew the tenant was on vacation or not.

It just doesn't seem to add up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tuition and Fees Deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, First of all, thank you for taking time in providing solutions for tax related issues. Here is my situation and question: I am filing resident 1040 MFJ return. In 2005, I have paid $12000 to a university for my MBA course. My employer reimbursed me $3000 out of the $12000. I am...

Late fees [ 7 Answers ]

I live in a small town in California and recently sent in my payment for utilities (water, garbage and sewer). The bill was due on the 9th and I mailed it on the 6th. I just got a bill in the mail for $25 stating that I paid late. The total of the original bill was $65. Is it legal to charge...

Fees [ 2 Answers ]

Can the opposing attorney charge interest on money awarded on court costs? In California thanks

Non-resident fees [ 1 Answers ]

Hello.  I am a student and an aspiring seasoned traveler.  The only problem?  I cannot afford to pay non-resident fees every time I want to move out of a state. Any suggestions on how to get around this?  Financial aide I can apply for?  If not, become a resident? Please help!! Thank you for your...

View more questions Search