Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mparmywife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Dog eating feces
    My pregnant shih-tzu is trying to eat poop from other dogs. Is this a sign of something wrong or a lack of nutrients?

- moved from Forum Help -
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 03:14 PM
    I'm sorry, but I had to laugh when I read what kind of dog you have, and the problem.

I had a wired haired terrier that used to get the nuggets out of the cat litter box. He would play with them, and eat them, and it totally disgusted me, and I gave him away to someone who didn't have cats. I don't know what causes them to do that?

Sorry about your problem, but I had to share that ironic dog name/problem.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 03:20 PM
    I still feel bad for laughing, sorry.

Here is a link you might check out, it does offer some explinations.

http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/s...cle.cfm?id=166
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Do you have your dog on a puppy chow. Dogs need extra nutrution when pregnant. Not trying to be rude. But it sounds like you need to read up on breeding. Also a trip to the vet would be good. Dogs can pick up all types of parsites from eating other dogs feces. ANything your dog picks up will likely be passed on to the puppies.
    EllieMae500 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 10:11 AM
    I have a Flat Coat Retreiver and they are confirmed poop eaters... especially es who have had a litter. It's not confirmed that she's lacking nutrients, it could be something as simple as a dog who eats grass... I wouldn't worry too much.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 5, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Sometimes pregnant or already delivered dogs eat poop to "clean up" for the pups.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Got new dog and old dog stopped eating [ 2 Answers ]

Over Christmas we adopted a rescue dog while visiting family. The day after adopting her she was very sick and we spoiled her. Our other dog who is 4 yrs old was fine during this time. We went back home after Christmas and the dog that we had (the 4 yr old) stopped eating. He will eat people...

My dog is 50 days old and is not eating Dog chow [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My dog name is scoobee, golden labarador,n is 50 days old,he became thin after vaccination ,got fever.. n when I try to feed him Dog chow he simply deny to intake... kindly suggest me... how to attract him in eating of Dog chow as it contains all the minerals and suppliments to good growing...

Dog Not Eating [ 1 Answers ]

We have a healthy, active, not over weight two year old Shih Tzu who has never eaten on his own unless coaxed or hand fed. He was the only pup in the litter. We got him when he was 7 weeks old and suspect he was not properly weaned as he didn't seem to know how to eat food from the beginning. ...

Dog not eating [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has been sick for several weeks now. I took her to the vet a couple of weeks ago because she was not eating and would gag every time she did. On the way to vet she threw up a dead animal. It was raw meat, fur and claws. It really made me sick. I think it was a rabbit she had killed. ...

Dog not eating II [ 7 Answers ]

My 11 year old lab has kidney disease (just home from the vet) and she doesn't show any interest in the special kibble food he prescribed (low protein). Any ideas on what she could be fed that would not be harmful to her or make her more interested? She did eat some scrambled eggs with gusto.

View more questions Search