Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wheres Waldoe Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2008, 08:42 PM
    How do I find a bank account to levy on a debtor I have a judgment on?
    I have a judgment on a debtor, I want to find the bank they do business at. What do I need to put in a letter to the banks, a "blind Levy letter" in order to find out if they do business there?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheres Waldoe
    I have a judgment on a debtor, I want to find the bank they do business at. What do I need to put in a letter to the banks, a "blind Levy letter" in order to find out if they do business there?

I don't think banks will respond to a blind letter - it's unfortunately not that easy. You would have to do discovery, get the info, go from there.

It's been suggested that you send the debtor a check, in theory they don't realize it's from you, they put it in their bank, you have their banking info. It very seldom works but people have tried it. Gets very complicated (obviously).

As you know, often the Judgment is the easy part; collecting is the difficult part.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee

It's been suggested that you send the debtor a check, in theory they don't realize it's from you, they put it in their bank, you have their banking info. It very seldom works but people have tried it. Gets very complicated (obviously).
    Oh my gosh! I think this is a brilliant, hilarious thing to try!
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinmommy
    Oh my gosh! I think this is a brilliant, hillarious thing to try!

And it's even more amazing when it works because you have to get desk checks (without your name on them or obviously the debtor will wise up), send a check in a large enough amount to tempt the debtor to cash it AND not get suspicious, hope the debtor doesn't sign it over to someone else to cash/deposit -

Creditor spends all kinds of time to say nothing of waiting and waiting to see what happens - and often with no result.

Television Private Investigator stuff at its finest!

The only time it works is when you already have the bank info - landlord/tenant, for example.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 09:01 AM
    In Texas we can't garnish or attach to bank accounts or any of that, so I'm ignorant about how you'd go about doing it.

I just love the thought of some schmuck depositing a $25 "mystery" check and in turn they get stuck for the judgement they're trying to run out on! I'd love to see the look on their face when THAT bank statement comes!! :eek:

He, he, he.

Jul 10, 2008, 10:46 AM
    I don't think banks will respond to a blind letter - it's unfortunately not that easy. You would have to do discovery, get the info, go from there.

As you know, often the Judgment is the easy part; collecting is the difficult part.

I was told by my bank to send the letter of intent to Levy and that banks have to respond. I know I have to include my judgment ID with the letter, I am still looking for a form letter or more information as how to word this letter. Any other input?

Jul 10, 2008, 10:47 AM
    BY the way I never thought of sending the debtor a check... it is a great idea.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Sounds like you need to follow/shadow your debtor, or hire a private investigator.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Sounds like you need to follow/shadow your debtor, or hire a private investigator.

Right - I didn't want to sound like I was pushing private investigators but depending on the size of the Judgment and how much you want to spend you can find a PI who can "probably" locate a bank account - a lot depends on which State you are in.

Jul 24, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Just wanted to let everyone know I sent a $25.00 check to this gal and she cashed it, my bank traced it for me and now I am going to file for a Levy on her account! Thank you so much for all your help - There are no such things as strangers, only friends we have not met!
    -walDOE
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 04:57 PM
    just wanted to let everyone know I sent a $25.00 check to this gal and she cashed it, my bank traced it for me and now I am going to file for a Levy on her account! Thank you so much for all your help - There are no such things as strangers, only friends we have not met!
    -walDOE

I am amused beyond words - thank you so much for coming back and letting us know how this worked out for you -
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Can't give you a greenie but you got one!

Jul 24, 2008, 05:01 PM
    I am amused beyond words - thank you so much for coming back and letting us know how this worked out for you -
    I wrote the check on a bank desk check out of our business account (so no address or name on the check) and wrote her a nice note about how great I think her work was and that this was a token of appreciation. Some deception involved, and I was nervous about that but it worked. Oh and a sloppy signature.
    Does anyone have any idea what time of month would be best to serve the Levy? I was thinking here before the end of the month before she pays bills due the first of the month.
    Ultra Member

just wanted to let everyone know I sent a $25.00 check to this gal and she cashed it, my bank traced it for me and now I am going to file for a Levy on her account! Thank you so much for all your help - There are no such things as strangers, only friends we have not met!
    -walDOE
    Great effort! Cheaper than a PI, which I suggested. Keep us posted.
    Uber Member

Thank you, I honestly appreciate it. Group hug, group hug.

(Every now and then the good guys win one!)

Jul 24, 2008, 05:11 PM
    What's a greenie? :o)
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 05:13 PM
    What's a greenie? :o)
    See "Rate this answer" and the greenie will appear after to click "agree"

Jul 24, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Hey, I got a greenie! :o) lol
    N4SIR Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2011, 12:49 PM
    If you Google "GLB Act", you will see that this "Trojan Check" method is illegal and you take a risk in using it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N4SIR View Post
    If you Google "GLB Act", you will see that this "Trojan Check" method is illegal and you take a risk in using it.
    The Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act is giganormous. Can you cite chapter and verse which you believe prohibits the use of such a "Trojan Check" method? From glancing at the Act, it appears to me that it isn't intended to prohibit me from asking my bank where my check was deposited.

It used to be that banks would send you the actual, deposited checks every month. I thought I could still ask the bank to send me a photocopy, including the back of the check with the deposit information. Are you saying that this practice is no longer permitted?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Levy on bank account after making payments on judgment [ 4 Answers ]

We had a lawsuit against our landlord in late January resulting in a judgment against us. We have made payments to the landlord since the judgment for two months now and sent payment as recently as last week and have receipt. I tried to use my account yesterday and all 3 accounts (personal,...

Can they levy a corporate account if the judgment is personal [ 1 Answers ]

They levied my personal bank account. It is a credit card judgment, can they also levy my corporate account? Logic dictates that they can not because it is a separate entity. We all know that logic is for idiots so that's why I am inquiring. Thank you.

Bank Account Levy, joint account [ 1 Answers ]

Today, a levy was placed on the joint account of myself and my wife, for a debt she had from a credit card company. Once I found out, I called her and had her call the lawyer, who then told her to dispute it, she would have to send a certified letter to the court, as well as the plaintiff, as to...

Judgment & Bank Account Levy [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My bank account has been frozen by a collection agency/lawfirm that received a default judgment for $2,700. The original debt will be 10 years old this October. I will be going over to the Civil court and file a "Motion to vacate judgment" on the grounds I never received the court...

View more questions Search