Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    supercheapcamera Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 01:06 AM
    Honda Accord 1986 stalling when accelerating
    3 Door EX, carburetted model. 1800cc 12v, ET1 engine.

Car stalls at red lights and going uphill. If I keep it in 2nd point of choke then it will not stall but RPMs at neutral etc will be sky high.

I have 1) used a fuel cleaner. No effect
    2) cleaned and refitted carburettor. No effect positive or negative.
    3) Changed the fuel pump and filter. No effect ( I have measured fuel flow in an empty bottle and it is OK. The car can run on float bowl fuel for a long time too.

Now the only things I feel are left is electrical parts. Sometimes idling is not very rough so I think it could be some loose connection or borderline wire somewhere.

Should I reset my computer (if there is one) by disconnecting negative terminal? Also do I need to change the distributor or ignition leads or the coil.

I would settle for any cheap fix. I don't intend to use the car but I have driven very few cars and I am sure I can pass my driving test on this one.
    What to do? I have several tools(screwdriver + socket sets + jacks etc) but nothing like a stroboscope or computer testers. What should be my next step.

Thanks and Regards
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Change spark plugs (NGK only), distributor cap, rotor, coil, Ignition Control Module (ICM), coil, and spark plug wires. My guess is a failing ICM. I recommend you at least remove the ICM and coil and have them tested for free at AutoZone. If you plan on keeping the car, I'd replace all of these key electrical components. Here's how to replace the ICM and coil yourself:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1986 Honda Accord LX/1996 Honda Accord LX [ 12 Answers ]

Would someone be able to tell me if the wheels on an 1986 Honda Accord are interchangeable with those of a 1996 Honda Accord. Thank you

'98 Honda Accord EX stalling out [ 1 Answers ]

I have a '98 Honda Accord with 180,000 miles. The automatic transmission was replaced with a rebuilt transmission 3,000 miles ago. Since then, on 3 separate occasions, after slowing down to yield at an intersection, when the accelerator was engaged to resume speed the engine cut off. Once the...

1999 Honda Accord Stalling [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1999 Accord and it has been stalling while I am driving and it is very random when it does this. I had igination switche replaced under the recall about 2 years ago, so I hoping this is not the problem all over again. I have read recently on this web site about this problem and wonder...

View more questions Search