Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    6538 waterford circle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2006, 07:56 AM
    New tenant with prior bankruptcy
    I am considering renting to a person who declared bankruptcy last year. Credit report shows the problem stems from charges made in 2002 and in prior years. Her advisor recommended she declare before the laws changed last year. Credit report shows she no longer has any credit cards and has had no problems since 2002.

She will be renting the property with her boyfriend who has a clean credit report.

Would it be best to rent to the boyfriend only or both or just run?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2006, 09:09 AM
    It's always best to have all adult occupants named on the lease.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 17, 2006, 11:15 AM
    Please understand that merely going bankrupt does not mean they did not pay their rent in full every month during that time, often it is medical or credit card debts that get behind and it never effects things like car payments or rental.

And of course the funny side of it is that often after a person has their bankruptcy final, they are considered a better risk, since they can't go bankrupt again.

So personally if a person has a good record of paying their rent I take that more important then how they pay their credit cards.

But yes if two people are living there both should be on the lease
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Sep 18, 2006, 06:40 AM
    I LOVE applicants who have BK within last 3 years... take her and BF if they have income/employment.

The reason I LOVE these applicants is that they don't have debt so I know I am more likely to get my rent and usually they stay debt free because they want to purchase their own home home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Tenant [ 4 Answers ]

My question is in New Hampshire deposit law.We moved out,had house cleaned,painted walls and door jams.We gave them 30+days notice.I took pictures but forgot news paper,opps.We have been out for 1 month,but no return of deposit.We have called 3 times,no response.We were told they are having Home...

Colorado Relocation Prior to Hearing [ 3 Answers ]

My husband (Anthony) and I live in Colorado. He fathered a child out of a one night stand in 2005 out of which his son was born December 2005. He is now eight months old. The mother also lived in this same area. From the very beginning Anthony told her that the two of them would not be...

Tenant / Bankruptcy/ eviction [ 4 Answers ]

How many times can a person file for Chapter 13? I have a tenant that has filed Chapter 3 times since Oct. 2005. They are late with the rent and owe back rent. I would like to get the tenant to vacate the premises. Any idea on how I can do this and what is my next step?

IRA's Prior to 1986 [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased some IRA's prior to 1986 as well as others after that period. I am trying to find out how the prior 1986 IRA's are treated when it comes time to do the Required Minimum Distribution. Thank you

View more questions Search