Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BPW08 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Air Cooler or Swamp Cooler?
    Hello,

I live in New Jersey... we have a/c wall units throughout the house. The back part of our living room does not receive enough a/c from the wall unit (there is a bend in the room) and there is no where to install another unit in the back part of the living room. We have only sliding glass doors in that area (no standard windows). We have been using the standard tower fan to help circulate the air, but on those hot days, it simply is not enough.

I was looking at the 'more expensive' air coolers and swamp coolers but do not know which one would be right for me (cooler or swamp cooler or neither).

Can anyone help?

Thanks a million!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 11:44 PM
    Do not try to use a swamp cooler in New Jersey you will not be happy with it.
    BPW08 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Thanks!

Do you know if there is a difference between a portable air cooler and a swamp cooler?
    If there is a difference, would a air cooler then work or do they work the same way?

Thanks again!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 05:41 PM
    A portable air cooler is actually an air conditioner that cools the air as well as removes humidity. A swamp cooler tries to cool the air by adding moisture to it. Tha swamps work out west but not in humid areas like jersey.
    sssanna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 12:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    A portable air cooler is actually an air conditioner that cools the air as well as removes humidity. A swamp cooler tries to cool the air by adding moisture to it. Tha swamps work out west but not in humid areas like jersey.
    Great advice above: Yes, a swamp cooler is used in dry heat climates (even best in desert areas), and for the reasons he states not a good solution for New Jersey.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooler with the door open? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a small computer room with to AC units designed and installed to keep the PC equipment at operational temperature. One of these units is broken. Whilst it is under repair should I: leave the door open with a fan for circulation AND swich the AC off leave the door open with a fan...

View more questions Search