Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 10:10 AM
    Bible passages
    Hello Christians:

I read lots of the religious threads, but my mind goes numb when you start quoting scriptures. Now, I don't know, but, it seems to me, that if you look hard enough, you can find scriptures that will validate ANY position the poster wants to take.

My question is, after all the scriptures have been posted, and all the positions taken, do any of you ever change your position because of a bible passage that somebody posted?

excon
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 10:33 AM

I too also follow the religious threads,I try not to get involved,but follow for the entertainment value,waiting for the clash of the titans!

to answer your question,no,I don't change my view,like you,I've also noticed that the bible can be quoted to suit most any belief or opinion,quoted and taken out of context.

I'm a christian,when talking to people who are not religious I don't need to quote to back up my opinion,because its my opinion.

taking quotes from the bible to prove your point to someone who does not believe,is pointless to a point,the passages are from a book from the bible,to get the full message the whole chapter needs to be read.

The only thing from the bible that a non believer needs to know is 'GOD IS LOVE'.plant that seed and God will do the rest.

So in short,no,I don't change my mind because of a quote,what would possibly change my mind is an original opinion,at least that would give me something to think about.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 06:50 PM

I KNOW what they are saying and I STILL go numb so don't feel alone here!

I have said it time and again when posts get lengthy with debate that each one goes away STILL believing what they believed.

I don't see anybody trying to learn anything from the others belief.
    Also I hate it when some say they are Christian and then make statements that have no Christian bearing and then they refuse to back it up with the Bible or even with their own Churches doctrine but state that is their belief. If you are a Christian shouldn't you want to know why you believe what you believe? That's like being married and only loving what you imagine your spouse to be rather than who they really are.

I don't like headaches so I don't even read half of the replies when they get quoting all those verses.
    NO they do not change anybody's mind on here the Catholics are still Catholic, the Jews are still Jews, the atheists are still atheist and the Christians are still Christians etc...

If you really are interested in the Christian belief look up specific Bible topic subjects and do a search and read up on them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 06:52 PM

I doubt any aguement here will change anyone, but people do change, I am very liberal now compared to my beliefs 30 years ago, so people do change.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 07:06 PM

You know what I do not like is when others try to judge other Christians as being less of a Christian just because they have differing opinions or ideas about certain things.

No one has a right to judge another less of a Christian or a better Christian then anybody else.

Why should people have to back up anything. There should no need to prove anything. Each person has been brought up with different religions, beliefs, denominations and with so many different life experiences that actually help form who we are as a person.

So about bible quotes and so on. Continue debating and ripping each other apart over differences is unchristian in my opinion.

I agree quoting scripture up and down does not change anything and everybody interprets each differently.

Just because somebody spews out scripture in their every post does not make them any better for somebody that does not quote it. Does not make them a less Christian.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 07:11 PM

By backing up what you believe I meant like how do you expect to get others to believe the way you believe when all you can say is I believe or I feel that God would want...
    Christians should have beliefs and share them with others but how can they if all you can say is I think or I feel or I believe. People want things backed up before they will buy it.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 07:19 PM

No Not necessarily. It is all in the approach but quite honestly, the so called backing up by others on this site is not backing up at all. Just showing other people that might want to be close to God. See all the arguments and infighting and walk away because they feel they do not want to be part of that mess.

I am not going to continue this, I said what I needed to say.
    It is about Belief, It is about Faith it is not about proof.
    The greatest lesson in all of this is to LOVE one another. Which has not be shown by a lot of people..

Joe
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 07:26 PM

Now I do have to agree with you on the backing up isn't backing up at all ON THIS SITE.

I do believe pretty much the same way as ClassyT, Tj3, homesells and Jakester but I get tired of the back and forth and know it isn't going anywhere.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 07:44 PM

Sadly that is the human nature in us all that allows a debate to continue long after it's useful meaning has expired. I think what you will find is that when people quote scripture it is trying to correct a fundamental fault in another persons logic. You will also find that many many people will try and use a passage to justify their position ignoring the whole context of the passage thereby getting it wrong.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 07:49 PM

Ex,

I don't think anyone of us has all the answers.
    See you can't just quote scripture to fit your own agenda. I believe you have to understand scripture and put it in context. Know who is writing the scripture, know who the scripture is being written directly to. It gets confusing otherwise.

I am really big on not just believing what I feel to be truth. But backing it up with what God says in the right context. But like Jesushelper says.. it is all about faith!! Not about proof.

Having said ALL that.. my answer is NO... no one has changed my mind. Lol BUT they have given me food for thought.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 08:04 PM

See you can't just quote scripture to fit your own agenda.

On the same token

You can believe God according to your own agenda but in the end if it is wrong then you can't complain.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 08:10 PM

Nohelp,

Nope we can't complain. :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 08:24 PM

Hello again:

Thanks everybody. You've convinced me.

Ex
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again:

ex
    Does that mean you have been enlightened?? :D
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 08:29 PM
    We can only hope!:D
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again:

ex
    I believe in the church of beer. I'm sure I can convince you. ;)

Leaving now.

Just thought I'd pop in.

Not a Christian.

Bye.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 08:34 PM

Did you pop in on your way to your church Alty?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Did you pop in on your way to your church Alty?
    I worship at home. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Understanding bible passages [ 3 Answers ]

The bible passage Matthew22:37-40. What does it mean?

Where in the Bible? [ 63 Answers ]

Where specifically in the Catholic or KJV Bible does it say you cannot ever eat meat on a Friday and where specifically does it say the word 'Purgatory'? If the word 'Purgatory' is in the Catholic version of the Bible, why is it not in the KJV? Thank you. Zsuzsanna

Before the Bible. [ 29 Answers ]

Here is another thought provoking question about the Bible or lack there-of. I believe the Bible was written 300 years A.D. Let's take all the millions of people that walked the Earth before the Bible with all it's rules were even known to anyone. How did they know what rules to follow? Did they...

Bible passages [ 8 Answers ]

Hello all, My loving father is losing his battle against an internal, quickly-spreading melanoma complicated by a recent stroke. We've been told he has maybe 6 weeks to live. His Catholic faith is helping him somewhat. Dad is 85 & an 'old school' Catholic. I'd like to read him suitable...

View more questions Search