Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eric in Mahwah Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Power for microwave over oven
    I am looking to buy a microwave for over my gas oven. The oven has a hood with a fan and a light (so there is a power source). When I asked about plugging in the microwave, the salesperson said that there may be an outlet in the cabinet that is above the hood - there is not. But because there is a light and fan, there is obviously some sort of power - I opened a metal case and there were the red, black and ground wires connecting directly to the fan. Could an electrician convert those wires to an outlet to plug the microwave into?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Red, Black, and ground usually means 240 volts, Measure and verify on a breaker, not tapped off range, Identify neutral(white) at receptacle and breaker. May be on with other recepticles.
    Usually have to mount to wall and cabinet above using paper templates provided.
    Template shows hole location for plug to go through cabinet above, to plug into receptacle,
    You are going to provide. Good Luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Black, red , and ground? Should be black or red, white neutral, and ground. I asked to have your question moved to electrical. I hope tkrussel gives an answer. I lack confidence in some of the others posting there. If you have a hot, neutral, and ground, you could even add an outlet yourself, replacing the plate with one with an outlet in it. You also need to verify the circuit has spare capacity for the load. I think microwaves are best on their own circuit.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 02:22 PM
    I agree micro on own circuit, and #12 on 20 Amp Breaker.
    Labman, don't know if questioning my info?
    I warned of Incompetent electricians, hooking #12 into 50 Amp range receptacle, may be
    With other outlets, The red and black made me think dedicated circuit for "240" Volt exhaust fan, and wouldn't be on 120 volt circuit, Measure voltage.
    Eric in Mahwah Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2007, 06:06 PM
    I am going to re-open the compartment with the wiring to the fan and will re-post (hopefully with more useful info). This website always has great information.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jul 10, 2007, 09:18 PM
    Over the range hood fan/light combos use very small motors that draw two, maybe 2.5 amps, and run on 120V. These use basically the same type of motors found in bathroom fans. While some electricians use the black wire/white wire combo exclusively, I’ve seen many others use different dark/light color combos for circuit identification, i.e. blue for hot and yellow for return. I’d bet this is a 120V circuit with the red as the hot, the black as the neutral, and the ground is truly ground wire. As stated in one of the replies, always best to measure voltage to verify. Agree with Stratmando that the microwave should be on a dedicated circuit, #12 wire/20 amp breaker. An electrician or a competent do-it-yourselfer could set up the outlet box.

On a somewhat related matter, you need to check the size of the cabinet over the range (I assume there is one with the hood mounted to it). Over the range microwaves are attached to the wall and the bottom of the cabinet. Second, when installed over a range, there is minimum distance that has to be maintained between the bottom of the micro and the top of the ranges’ cooking surface. While this distance is basically the same for all micros, specifics will be detailed in the instruction manual. Generally, a cabinet with a height of 12” or 15” is needed so the micro is the proper distance from the cooking surface. Cabinets used with the hood set up usually are to long. The outlet box is installed in the wall behind the cabinet, with outlet itself accessible through a hole cut in the back of the cabinet. The power cord is run through a hole in the cabinet bottom to the outlet. The outlet can’t be behind the microwave since the micro mounts very close to the wall. This may be way more info than you needed, but installing an over the range micro does require some planning, measuring an work :eek:
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 11, 2007, 12:24 AM
    Note how the wires are hooked-up in the hood. Note: If the light works--then it's obvious you have a white conductor (Code compliant or not is based on your feed back).

-identify wires (again). Yet tell us: 1.color 2. type of wire (romex; thhn; knob and tub; etc) 3. how the wires are terminated (as asked initially) then

Post back.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 02:53 AM
    Yes, Eric, please look again at the wiring in the fan, something seems a bit off, unless you are located in Europe.

So far thou, you have received good sound advice.

Washington, Stratmando, and Shader have consistently offered good, accurate, and safe advice.

Eric, please check the hood fan feed, many times the fan is connected to the kitchen lighting circuit, or the dedicated counter appliance circuits, or worse , to the 240 volt range outlet.

The new microwave, I am sure, is recommended by the manufacturer, to have it's own dedicated 20 amp circuit. Microwaves draw a large amount of current, even thou for only a short period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Microwave oven [ 11 Answers ]

Can you tell me approximately how many amps a small microwave oven uses. I rent and my house has 15 amp circuits and my microwave keep tripping the circuit. My landlady told me my microwave uses too many amps. Can that be? Thanks so much for your help

How do I install an overhead microwave oven? [ 4 Answers ]

It doesn't really matter what brand at this point. I just want to be sure I can do it and have the necessary tools. Many thanks in advance

Microwave oven installing [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to install an above stove microwave oven I have no manuals for this maytag oven #mmv4205aaw thanks

Over the Range Microwave Oven [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a new Over the Range Microwave Oven in my kitchen. I have already installed a dedicated outlet box with a 15 amp outlet (14/2 wire) to plug the oven into (nothing but the microwave will be plugged in to the outlet). The installation Instructions for the oven say the oven should be...

Microwave oven [ 1 Answers ]

My Kenmore built in microwave just stopped working. Nothing works, no lights sounds or keypad response. There is power to the outlet but nothing to the microwave. I've heard there is a fuse that might be blown but don't see anyway to access the inside of the unit without taking it off the wall....

View more questions Search