Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KateCornett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Eating to Fast
    I have a 10 week old Dashaund puppy and every time I put her food down to eat, she inhales it like she has never eaten before. I try to make her slow down but she won't. I had to rush her to the emergency vet one night because her stomach blew up. I have been feeding her less, but now three times a day instead of two. But she still inhales the food and its gone in 5 seconds. What can I do.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 08:17 AM
    I can say that I tried Labmans suggestion on this and it worked for a rescue dog that I was feeding last week. I took her dog food and spread it out on a cookie sheet, instead of it taking her 2 seconds to gulp it down it took her about 5 minutes.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Aug 16, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    I can say that I tried Labmans suggestion on this and it worked for a rescue dog that I was feeding last week. I took her dog food and spread it out on a cookie sheet, instead of it taking her 2 seconds to gulp it down it took her about 5 minutes.
    I tried this method with my younger beagle after having to rush him to the vet for the same thing. It does make them slow down. I also started separating my dogs when they eat. The younger one eats faster in the presence of other dogs. He's so worried they are going to get his kibble. If his food is spread out, he's forced to slow down.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Labman's method does work quite well. Also placing a rock (larger than they can get into their mouths) on top of the kibble will slow a dog down. But I use that method primarily with larger breeds. The cookie sheet, or just throwing the kibble and spreading it out on the floor works well with little dogs. I have never seen the bloated stomach issue with a dachshund. Have seen it with a boxer mix. Very scary situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Too fast? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 19 years old guy, when I lost my virginity at 18 and a year after that I could have sex for 1 to 2 hours and my partner having orgasms with no problems, my girlfriend even started to get worried that she doesn't please me or something. But now this past few month I have a little problem, every...

How fast? [ 4 Answers ]

The lonely deputy sat and waited for hours. Finally, a car came speeding by. The cop pulled the car over and said, "I've been waiting all day for this." To which the young man said, "I got here as fast as I could.":D

Is this too fast? [ 8 Answers ]

Okay, I have a new boyfriend, and we have been only going out for like 24 hours and he hands me a note saying:To my baby, From pimp dawg.Is that kind of early to be calling mee that? Please answer

Need help fast! [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, this might be a bit confusing, so hold on tight! I am a tenant and am the only one on the lease that I have signed until May '07. I had a roommate move in on the 1st of Sept to stay with me the rest of the time. This was an oral agreement that she would pay half the rent and the utilities...

View more questions Search