Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jacktomasca007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Taxes and a mortgage mess this year
    Hi,
    About three years ago we refinance our home, and took some cash out to pay bills mainly student loans. Sounded like a good deal at that time, well it was one of those inflating rates.. we tried to refinance and found out that we owed allot more then the place was worth. We talked to a realtor and he advise that the way over inflated the value of condo. We hired on attorney and discovered they forged the value and our income. He gave them the opportunity to refinance our home at today's value or else court time, plus but the interest charges towards the equity of the home. The mortgage company did that with out any question, they told us they will "eat the difference" this was about 56k they "ate". There was no discussion of tax during this. Will we get at W-2 for this, how ugly will it be during tax time. The lawyer fee was 5k for this. We live in Ca.
    additionally
    know some one talked about being insolvent at the time. Right before our assets was about 197,000, including furniture, cars, savings/retirement, and other misc stuff. Our debts were about 220k before this. How would someone claim this difference.
    thanks for you
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 08:08 AM
    You cannot claim the insolvency on your taxes.

You MAY get a Form 1099-C from the mortgage company. If so, go back to the mortgage company and have them revoke it, because, In my opinion, the resultant difference in the interest charges ($56K) was a result of THEIR malfeasance.

For this reason, you should not be held responsible for the taxes. However, if the IRS gets a Form 1099-C, they will not look at it that way.

I would be pro-active on this and contact the lawyer to have him work on your behalf in this issue.
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Jan 3, 2008, 09:26 AM
    There are some exceptions to paying some taxes on cancellation of debt if you are insolvent. The IRS has been trying to work out some tax relief for taxpayers who have had their home forclosed or have been caught up in this mortgage fiasco. It's complicated though and would probably be best handled by a tax professional.

Questions and Answers on Home Foreclosure and Debt Cancellation
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Agreed!

But I stand by my original post. The mortgage company is trying to avoid both criminal and civil penalties by settling with you, so if you contact the company NOW and stop the Form 1099-C from being issued, you can prevent the problem before it happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother wants to add son to deed to save property taxes can he not mortgage house? [ 2 Answers ]

My mother owns a house in Starke FL anf her son, my brother has lived in it for 3 years. He has became disabled and doesn't work, she lives in SC. She wants to add him to the deed so that the property taxes becom lower for owner occupied verus living out of state, it will save her about $1,000 eah...

Did not file taxes last year [ 2 Answers ]

What do I do if I forgot to file my taxes last year? Can I file them with this years taxes?

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

Taxes for my F-1 and H1B year [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US in Dec 2002 on an F-1 and was on F-1 till May 2006. Following graduation I was on my OPT from June-Nov 2006. Since Dec 1, 2006 I have been on my H1B. So for the year 2006, I was on F-1 for 11 months and H1-B for one month. I have filed my taxes as a non-resident for the...

15 or 30 year mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

Which is the best mortgage to get if I don't intend to stay longer than 5 years? 15, 20, 25, or 30. Goal is to minimize interest and pay down principal as fast as possible while being able to pay other bills? What is the most popular mortgage and why? Thank you.

View more questions Search