Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cbg0510 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Puppy has mild cough
    I bought a Lab puppy in the beginning of November, her 1st vet appointment was on the 15 about a week after that she started to have a mild cough. At the randomest times though never when she is playing, running etc. Its always like when she's laying down, or at night when she's sleeping. She has never thrown anything up its like a hack almost you can say. Its probably Kennel Cough but it seems to be really mild she only does this about 2 or 3 times at the most a day. She's a very active and alert dog, she's been vaccinated 2 times for Bordatella. She has a vet appointment this Saturday, do you think I should take her sooner?:(
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2007, 03:24 PM
    My initial reaction is if it is mild, I wouldn't panic and I would wait until Saturday. It does sound like a lower form of kennel cough and may very will be a mild reaction to the vaccine. If you think of it in people terms with the flu and the flu vaccine, people can have mild reactions to those and exhibit flu like symptoms.
    But, in thinking about this whole scenario a bit more, if it was MY puppy and I were in your position, I would just give the vet a call and talk to him about it. Let him decide if it is necessary for you to bring the puppy in sooner than Saturday.
    lindsayminar Posts: 51, Reputation: 6

Dec 5, 2007, 11:16 AM
    My lab does the same kind of hacking cough thing, or at least it sounds like it, kind of like an internal sneeze over and over again? I thought that it was because my doggy was getting over kennel cough but as it turns out the Vet said that it was kind of like when people get a stuffed up nose they either blow their nose or try to "sniff" it away, dogs can't blow their nose like we do so they try to suck all the gooey stuff back in. My dog is kind of unintelligent, because sometimes when she starts doing it, she has a hard time stopping. The vet also said that the stuffy nose was probably a result of some allergies and to only be worried if discolored discharge started running frequently out of her nose.

I've found that when Annie (my black lab) does this if I call her name, try to comfort her, and try to point her head upwards she stops pretty quickly.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Awww. Lindsay. That poor thing. She isn't unintelligent. My dog has the same problems and I have dealt with it for years. It is really out of their control. There actually is a difference between an adult dog having an issue such are yours and mine, and a very young puppy having the issue that Cbg's pup is going through.

Your vet's info is very much right. And your description of it is very accurate. When she has this trouble it is usually the result of what is referred to as a backward sneeze. Very often, once it starts, they can't stop. Sort of like how our hiccups work. You can take how you respond to get her to stop, one step further if you wish. When your dog has one of those backward sneezing fits, appears to be having trouble breathing, and can't seem to stop, call your dog's name as you do now, talk to her, get animated, take a toy or do anything that will refocus her attention away from her predicament and onto something else, waive the toy in front of her, get her to come to you, you can run around and create a distraction if you wish. It will stop it. After she stops the comforting begins! ;)
    lindsayminar Posts: 51, Reputation: 6

Dec 5, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    awww. lindsay. That poor thing. She isn't unintelligent. )

I meant unintelligent in the most loving way possible, my doggy is actually quite smart and responding to her obedience classes and crate training really well, thank God.;) :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mild electrical shock in swimming pool [ 72 Answers ]

:eek: Our swimming pool pump is grounded to the ladder in the pool and also to a copper grounding rod in the ground. The problem is when you touch the wet concrete around the pool while touching the water in the pool you get a mild shock. We've checked it with a voltage meter{the blk. Electrode...

4 negative tests, 8 days late, and mild cramping [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 24, my period was due on 10/18/2007, I don't have many pregnancy symptoms, I was nausious today, and a couple days ago, I had butterfly's also. My breasts felt tender last night but fine today. Today I am having mild cramping, but no sign of period coming. Me and my boyfriend have had...

Rash after mild exercise [ 8 Answers ]

After a small amount of exercise (for example lifting buckets to replace the water in my mum's fish tanks), I often get a rash along the back of my arms and chest, along with a hot flush, I also get the same after walking for a while and stopping. The exercise isn't strenuous in any way, I'm not...

Mild cramping, light bleeding [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: Hi I'm sure you guys proberly get this asked a lot but I'm new to this so I'm going to ask again.Can you tell me if I should be worried about slight to mild cramping(not painful just uncomfortable)and light bleeding(had a tampon in for 5 hrs removed and there were only 2 spots)r normal...

Mild Cramping and spotting when I wipe [ 4 Answers ]

I am 5 weeks and 5days pregnant and I have been spotting for about a week. I have had mild cramping but nothing major and the spotting is only when I go to the bathroom and wipe. It is mostly light brown to light pink. I have had some red but it was very little. I have not had clots or heavy...

View more questions Search