Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chuckhig Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2005, 10:30 AM
    Download trouble
    My automatic update feature on ms xp pro works unless the download relates to office. I have office2000. I get message... the feature you are trying to use is on a network source that is unavailable.. try again.. then it tells me ms office try again to find file proplus.msi... can you help.. thanks chuckpro cannot be found.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 11, 2005, 10:41 AM
    It might be convenient for some, but automatic updates is something I would not choose, as it does mess things up a bit. Change your update freature to choose what updates you want to install yourself. If you want updates for Office 2000, you must sign on to the site or open word, and go to help, then updates, and get them that way, as the updates they send now are for 2003 most of the time. That's the only way I know of how to stop them from sending stuff I don't need. Maybe someone else will help you in another way, just be patient. Good Luck.

StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 11, 2005, 12:11 PM
    It sounds like your update requires the original setup disk to be installed. Try putting the Office CD in and browsing for it the next time it shows this message.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 11, 2005, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhig
    my automatic update feature on ms xp pro works unless the download relates to office. i have office2000. i get message...the feature you are trying to use is on a network source that is unavailable..try again..then it tells me ms office try again to find file proplus.msi...can you help..thanks chuckpro cannot be found.
    I answered to this questions in another thread, please check it. Thanks.

Nov 12, 2005, 04:08 AM
    Well give us a link then Chery! :)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 12, 2005, 04:27 AM
    This relates to Windows 2000 service packs but it may help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324906

It seems that the office update has caused a problem and needs to be updated from the office cd, as Stu has already mentioned.

Nov 12, 2005, 04:43 AM
    Thanks
    I just purchased the new office xp 2002 edition,, it is on the way. I hope that cures my problem. Thanks for the help... chuck higgins
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2005, 04:49 AM
    Auto Updates
    Hi,
    If you wish to turn off any of these auto updates, such as the Word, then:
    Go to Start/Run and type in MSCONFIG , and click on OK.
    Then, in that window, click on the StartUp tab, top right.
    Scroll down on the left and look at all the programs starting up when you boot up the computer!
    If you see any you don't want starting up, then left click on it to remove the checkmark, click on Apply, and OK. Anything with the word "auto" or "autoupdate" is what to look for.
    Re-boot.
    If you uncheck something you need, then you can always go back and check it again.
    Sometimes, all the Auto Updates can be quite annoying, and in this particular case, really doesn't work.
    I do agree with Chery on turning them off.

Nov 12, 2005, 04:51 AM
    Turn off updates
    I turned it off... thanks... chuck
    BossMan

Nov 12, 2005, 04:54 AM
    Interesting there Fred, but the Auto updates for Office are NOT located in MSCONFIG! In fact Office doesn't have an Auto update function.

The asker is referring to the OS Auto update that is located in the control panel (or right click on 'My computer').

As Chery has suggested the best way is to change it to 'Notify' and then you can choose which ones you want to install.

There has been a recent update that caused headaches and as such I would never receomend having them on FULL automatic.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 12, 2005, 04:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    Well give us a link then Chery! :)
    You ask for it, I provide it. Have a good weekend! Although, when I was using Office 2000, all I had to do was open an office app and click on help, and the update feature.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/of...224971033.aspx

P.S. We do this on our free time and really appreciate feedback if our answers/advice helped or not, please: click the Rate This Post link, click on Approve or Disapprove, and give a comment. Thanks!

BossMan

Nov 12, 2005, 05:02 AM
    Good link there Chery but this one is better:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/of...e/default.aspx

Covers ALL versions ;)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 12, 2005, 05:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Good link there Chery but this one is better:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/of...e/default.aspx

Covers ALL versions ;)
    Thanks, you're good. I was concentrating on 2000. But since I use 2003 now, this helps me.

Nov 12, 2005, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    You ask for it, I provide it. Have a good weekend! Although, when I was using Office 2000, all I had to do was open an office app and click on help, and the update feature.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/of...224971033.aspx

P.S. We do this on our free time and really appreciate feedback if our answers/advice helped or not, please: click the Rate This Post link, click on Approve or Disapprove, and give a comment. Thanks!

Well thanks, but I was really referring to the thread you said you already answered the question - not the link for Microsoft - but I suppose this is fine as well!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 12, 2005, 05:18 AM
    Stu, it was post #2 on this thread. I have a problem lately, when I answer some questions, my posts don't show up unless I post another one, this has happened several times and I don't know why - plus when I delete the first one, the second one vanishes too. How do I make management aware of this?

downright frustrating sometimes...
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2005, 05:28 AM
    AutoUpdate
    Hi,
    Thank you, Curlyben, for the information.
    Many members find it more pleasing to add a comment informing a person of such, rather than passing out "disapprovals" all the time.
    BossMan

Nov 12, 2005, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Thank you, Curlyben, for the information.
    Thank you for the bad rating.
    As the information that you posted was incorrect I had to disagree and correct.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2005, 05:34 AM
    Auto Updates
    Hi,
    Addition to the post of Thank you to Curlyben.
    Your second post was so fast that I didn't have a chance to edit my first!
    But, again, thank you for the information.
    Many members do feel that a post informing one of such an error, is much more pleasing than "disapproval" ratings. Explanations can also be given in a post, rather than in a rating. But, that's your option.

Nov 12, 2005, 06:47 AM
    Thanks
    I did it, thanks... chuck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2005, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Many members do feel that a post informing one of such an error, is much more pleasing than "disapproval" ratings. Explanations can also be given in a post, rather than in a rating. But, that's your option.
    Who are these "many members"? I've never seen any discussion of this before. In the discussions about the Rep system, the consensus was to use it and see how it goes. So all Ben is doing is using it as it was designed to be used.

In my opinion, using the approval/disapproval rating is important. Maybe an asker is reviewing the answer, it looks good so they try it without reading further down the thread. However, if they see a comment added to the answers that says its not the best answer, they will then read further. This is the value of the rating system.

Scott<>

Moved here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showth...4922#post54922

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Download music [ 2 Answers ]

What are the best sites to download music? How do you do this.

How to download [ 18 Answers ]

Hi , We find few music album sites, wherein we can just play the music online. What needs to be done if we want to download the music and save them into our local drive. I tried doing that, but always end up with saving as "Html" or "Real Player Presentation" format and cannot be played...

How to download music [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone please give me a "site" that I can read about how to download music onto a CD. I'm not very good on the computer... Thanks "Ken"

Can't download ANYTHING! [ 13 Answers ]

My computer has just recovered from a problem in which was solved by the removing of display drivers. While I doubt that shouldn't affect my downloading, I can't think of anything that is wrong with my computer for it to be as such. Now I can't even download new drivers. I need help!! :( ...

Download [ 1 Answers ]

Can you download all material on a hotmaill account in one go onto a c.d and how please.

View more questions Search