Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tracylbailey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2010, 03:01 PM
    Can I use a 60 amps breaker (feeder) with the total load of 90 amps for a sub panels?
    chefpierce Posts: 56, Reputation: 3

Dec 26, 2010, 03:03 PM
    Yes
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2010, 03:18 PM

U can feed the sub panel with the 60 amp breaker, but if u use more then the 60 amps it will blow.

What is sub being used for? If power equipment, and u want to expand at a future date, u will be limited to what u can use at one time.

Chuck
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 26, 2010, 03:26 PM

You need to clarify exactly what you are doing please.

Are you asking if you can use a 90 amp feed from the main service panel to a subpanel which uses a 60 amp breaker, the answer is yes.

However, if you are asking if you can feed a 60 amp source to a 90 amp, sub-panel, the answer is maybe!

You would have to make sure that at no time can the subpanel actually draw more than 80% of the 60 amp feed.

If you try to use a 60 amp feed to a 90 amp load you are looking for a fire to happen if the 60 amp breaker fails to trip.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 26, 2010, 03:53 PM

chefpierce, what are you basing this "yes" on?

Without more info this cannot be answered accurately.

Where is this 90A number coming from? Are you just adding the breakers up? If so that is a meaningless number. A load calc is the only accurate way of judging.
    I will say, if all the breakers only add up to 90 then it is safe to say you are fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hellow There! How to show a 400 amp service into two 200 amps panels/meters [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding a new electrical service to an existing one in the city of chicago. And was asked that I have to add a 400 amps with multiple meters, however I will need only 200 amps metered for my service. I need to show a one line diagram for the inpector. Any help!

50 Amp gfci breaker how to measure total amps [ 1 Answers ]

I measure the amps on the 50 amp breaker the black wire measures 23.5 and the red wire measures 23.2 do I add these together or is the spa pulling 23.5 amps?

Cost to upgrade from 100 amps to 200 amps and ground [ 4 Answers ]

StanFortyMan has made a lot of sense about my needs in a home with a 100 AMP Service.. I would like to upgrade to 200 amps.. with some ground sockets(or whatever this is called) and put in more sockets... The house is 1300 square feet... does anyone have a guestimate of costs?? Thanks, Annie

100 household amps vs 200 amps [ 6 Answers ]

I am living in an "old" house with 100 amps coming in. I am in the process of doing reconstruction and would like to know if I run all new wires and outlets and get rid of dusty broken wires and connection boxes left open to rot---Can I use the same fuses and wiring for 100 as for 200 or do I...

Changing from 100 amps to 200 amps [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas water heater (40 gallon tank). I want to change it to an electric tankless water heater. I have read that I need 200 amps in the house to do this, but currently I have only 100 amps. The outside meter is located only about 25 feet away, but the lines are underground. What is...

View more questions Search