Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hawaiianguy54 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Trying to connect 220v 3phase lathe to 220v dryer outlet.
    I want to connect a 220v 3 phase lathe (2hp Baldor motor 2 pole plug with ground) to a 220v 3 wire dryer wall outlet. The lathe plug has black, white and green wires. The dryer outlet is black, white and red. I want to make an extension cord with 12/3 wire, male dryer plug on one end and female 2 pole receptacle on the other end.
    Do I combine the dryer outlet red and black wires and connect to the black wire of the lathe, connect the whites of both together and lose the ground?
    Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 05:11 PM
    I did not know they had a 3ph dryers, is this a commercial dryer that is 3 ph
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Well you can't connect a 3 phase motor to a single phase service with out a phase converter. Check you motor to insure that it is a 3 phase motor. Don't see how it could be with two conductors. At 2 HP is pretty small to be 3 phase. Post what's on the normenclature tag.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianguy54
    Do I combine the dryer outlet red and black wires and connect to the black wire of the lathe, connect the whites of both together and lose the ground?
    NO, NO, NO!

WHY are you using "12/3"?? Are you aware that a dryer circuit is 30 amps? Are you aware that #12 is only good to 20 amps? Are you aware that a dryer circuit is 120/240v?

I have certainly seen a 3phase 2hp motor, but never one using only three wires. It should be three PLUS a ground.

IF this motor is actually three phase, there is absolutely 0% chance you will make it work on a single phase system without an expensive and complicated phase converter.

You need to post way more details before we can help you with this. It actually sounds like you may be in over your head.

Sep 3, 2008, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Well you can't connect a 3 phase motor to a single phase service with out a phase converter. Check you motor to insure that it is a 3 phase motor. Don't see how it could be with two conductors. At 2 HP is pretty small to be 3 phase. Post what's on the normenclature tag.
    The manual says "the lathe will operate on single phase or 3 phase 230 volt supply. A three wire pigtail for use on 230 volt single phase power is attached to the inverter and may be hard wired to the power source or connected to a recepticle plug."

The lathe is a Powermatic 3520 with a baldor power inverter it looks like it is set up for single phase 230v operation according to the wiring diagram. The inverter tag says the output is 2hp, 3.5-230v, 7.2 amps, KVA 3.0.

The motor is 3 phase, 2hp, 230v, 6.2 amps.

Hope this gives you more info.

Thanks for your feedback!

Sep 3, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman
    NO, NO, NO!

WHY are you using "12/3"??? Are you aware that a dryer circuit is 30 amps? Are you aware that #12 is only good to 20 amps? Are you aware that a dryer circuit is 120/240v?

I have certainly seen a 3phase 2hp motor, but never one using only three wires. It should be three PLUS a ground.

IF this motor is actually three phase, there is absolutely 0% chance you will make it work on a single phase system without an expensive and complicated phase converter.

You need to post way more details before we can help you with this. It actually sounds like you may be in over your head.
    Sorry, it's 10/3 wire same as the dryer plug. The lathe is set up for single or 3 phase 230v operation. It currently has a 3 wire pigtail setup for single phase power.

I may only be in up to my knees so far, but with your help I'll not get any deeper!
    Thanks!

Sep 3, 2008, 06:10 PM
    It sounds as if it already has a phase converter installed.

Is the motor wired to this inverter already, or is it unwired?

Do you have a name and model number off this inverter?

Sep 3, 2008, 06:16 PM
    OK, according to these instructions, http://content.powermatic.com/manuals/m_1352001.pdf , this unit does have a built-in "inverter" and comes pre-wired for 230v single phase.

You just have to hook it up like any other straight 230(240) volt appliance, two hots and a ground.
    You only have to change the pigtail if you want to use it on a real 3-phase system.

The instructions are quite clear on this.

Sep 3, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Change the receptacle and breakers. Plug it in and send me your first bowl. Nice lathe.

Sep 3, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman
    OK, according to these instructions, http://content.powermatic.com/manuals/m_1352001.pdf , this unit does have a built-in "inverter" and comes pre-wired for 230v single phase.

You just have to hook it up like any other straight 230(240) volt appliance, two hots and a ground.
    You only have to change the pigtail if you want to use it on a real 3-phase system.

The instructions are quite clear on this.
    Thanks for doing the research... so, back to my original ? Is it and how (if it is possible) do I connect to the only 220v source (dryer wall plug) wired in my house? The dryer is 3 wire 2 flat (slanted) (black and red) with top "L" shape white wire (two hots & 1 neutral). The lathe is 1 ground (top) with two horrizontal flat black and white wires.

I'm electrically challenged and that brought me to this forum. So your advice is appreciated.

Sep 3, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Get 20 amp 240V receptacle, a box, and a double 20 amp breaker. Turn main breaker off in panel. Remove cover. Remove 30 amp double breaker by turning off then continuing to push toward the outboard side. Breaker should pop out. Remove wires and connect to 20 amp breaker. Outboard side of breaker will either snap on to mounting or have a hook to catch mounting. You have to have same brand breaker as panel. Maybe you should remove breaker first and take to store to get one just like it, only 20 amps. If you will be surface mounting box you may want to use a large handy box. If you have any empty spaces in your panel you may want to leave dryer circuit alone and run some 12-2 cable and put the receptacle where you want it.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2008, 09:55 PM
    If you are "electrically challenged"... have someone who knows what they are doing figure this out and do the work for you. All the answers you get here won't be worth anything if you can't understand the meaning... and if you can afford the lathe, you can afford a professional to install it properly.
    Good luck.
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Sep 4, 2008, 02:20 AM
    The point of receptacles being different based on voltage and amperage is so you can't plug something in where it should not be plugged in. Making an extension cord to get around this is not a good idea. You really need a circuit added just for your new lathe.

The answer to the question in the last line of your post is... not unless you want to trip the breaker, see sparks, damage your lathe and injure yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220v dryer plug different than 220v wall outlet [ 16 Answers ]

Dryer has 2 flat and 1 round prong, outlet has 3 flat prongs. Is there an adapter for that? Also do they make a 220v extension cord or a two into one adapter for a 220v?

220v in 120v outlet [ 5 Answers ]

Bought a low wattage set of X mas lights in Europe, they appear to be set for 220v. Can I get an adaptor for the European plug and just plug them into a 120v US outlet or do I have to buy some type of voltage converter?

Testing 220v outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I have a 4 wire outlet in the garage which is used for a generator. Wire colors are Black, Red, White, and a Copper wire wrapped in paper. All the wiring is contained in a metal conduit. I just purchased a heater for the garage and it had a 3 wire plug. I disconnected the conduit,...

Can I rig 2 generators (220v bi-phase) to get 220v three fase [ 2 Answers ]

I have two 6000 watt generators that are bi-phase and want to run a 5hp motor that is 220v / 3 phase. Is it possible? How would the wiring go? I'm in Mexico and can't find a rental... well I found varios but no one that can hook up my motor.

220v 50a welder, 220v 30a dryer plug [ 1 Answers ]

I just got an arc welder that is 220v 50a. I thought I could plug it into the 220v receptacle in my garage, not realizing how many different types of 220v plugs and amperages there are. The receptacle in my garage turns out to be a 220v 30a dryer plug. My question is can I just change the...

View more questions Search