Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    philip39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2006, 01:22 PM
    Briggs&Stratton Billy Goat Pull Start broken
    Hey, my billy goat pull start is stuffed. When I pull it it goes floppy and won't wind back onto the wheel. Its happened before but when I've taken the top plate off it wound back on and I hadn't had trouble with it, until now. Is there anything I can do ?:confused:
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2006, 08:11 PM
    About how old is it? It sounds like the spring is either snapped inside, or has gotten some trash or something in there and has jammed it. (the spring is a coil that when you pull on the rope, gets wound up more then it already is, and when you release the cord, pulls it back in.
    philip39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2006, 09:15 PM
    Hey. Thanks for the speedy reply. Before I checked the site again I took it down the road. I was hoping it was just something to do with the spring, however it wasn't winding back on because it needed a new clutch in the shaft. So the shaft was only spinning one way, so it was stopping the spring from winding the cord back on . If that makes sense ?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2006, 10:07 PM
    So this is old enough to have a starter clutch... the starter clutch only goes one way, when the engine is running its disengaged, when you pull on the pull cord, the balls inside catch and turn the engine over. The balls can wear out and not catch, but the spring I was talking about should pull the cord back in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12.5 briggs and stratton won't start [ 18 Answers ]

I'm rebuilding the engine on my murray, it's a 12.5 horsepower power built. I have a brand new starter and the solonoid was replaced about a year ago, but it just clicks when I turn the key, if I hook up the starter and try and turn it over the solonoid clicks multiple times rapidly then won't...

I can't pull the starter cord on my 10hp Briggs and Stratton Engine [ 6 Answers ]

I recently purchased a two year old 10 hp Troy Built wood chipper. I've used it for about 4-5 hours and recently had to add a little oil. I added the correct type as per the manufacturers instructions. It started up just fine and after 15 minutes or so I shut it off to empty the bag. Once the...

Briggs & Stratton cranks but does not start [ 11 Answers ]

I have an MTD Yard Machine powered by a B&S 12.5 hp code 9311064E type 0154-01. The engine cranks slowly and in spurts approximating the four cycles. When I remove the spark plug the engine spins normally. I had the battery checked at a battery shop and it was pronounced fine after a load test. A...

16 HP Briggs and Stratton won't Start [ 11 Answers ]

I was mowing the lawn a couple of days ago and the engine just died on me. I have good spark. I bought a new fuel pump and installed it but still no luck. I can squirt some gas in the carb and it will start right up, then die back off as the gas is used up. There is plenty of gas going through the...

Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp OHV - Won't Run [ 8 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that was running great. It shut off in the middle of cutting and that was that. If I pour gas in the carb it tries to start, so I know I have fire. I have plenty of gas going to the carb and the solenoid on the bottom is working fine. I had the carb off, took the main...

View more questions Search