Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redeye Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2005, 02:54 PM
    Lexplore
    I have something called lexplore in the close program menu after pressing alt+ctrl+del, it reappears if I end task and worse it loads itself over and over until it stalls the machine. It is driving me bonkers because I cannot identify what exactly it is so I can remove it, HELP :eek:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2005, 03:49 PM
    Iexplore.exe is the executable for Internet Explorer.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2005, 05:41 AM
    Iexplore
    Hi,
    Iexplore is Internet Explorer.
    If you close it, your computer will do all types of weird things, with some being what you are explaining.
    Is there any reason you are using CTRL-ALT-DELETE to close out programs? This is not usually used to close programs. You do that by clicking on the X, top right of the window, or by Right clicking on the icon on the tray at the bottom, then Left click on Close.
    What is your windows version, like 98, XP, etc?
    Please post back with what you are trying to do.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Aug 26, 2005, 01:38 PM
    Thanks SottGem that's useful but I still have the problem below in response to fredg, hope someone can help. I am using 98se and IE 6. I am using alt ctrl del to shut down lexplore as it will repeatedly load itself and crash the machine, if ignored, when I am connected to the internet. After it has loaded itself 3 or 4 times it will slow the machine and cause problems until it eventually freezes alt ctrl del, close program, can be used to close the multiples which allows me to keep the connectioon for longer but it will not stop it reloading over and over. Another problem that seems related is a work offline message repeatedly appearing after I start up, if I select work offline the box goes away but comes back over and over. Trying to set internet explorer to work offline does not work, the program accepts the check mark by work offline but the work ofline message box will still reappear after time, over and over. Thanks guys.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 26, 2005, 07:06 PM
    First have you done regular mainenance (SCandisk, Defrag)? If not, that's the first thing you should do. Next, is to scan for any spyware, adware etc. Once you have done all that, go to Add/Remove programs and select Internet Explorer. There should be a repair option. You may have to go to Windows Components first. Doing all of that has a good chance of fixing the problem.
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2005, 02:20 AM
    Win98SE
    Hi,
    I suggest doing the steps below for Win98SE Maintenance.

Registry Repair should be done whenever there are problems:

To Repair the Registery:
    Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it press down until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:>
    Type in SCANREG /FIX (there is a space between the G and the / ).
    You will now see C:>SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    This will take about 5 minutes or so.
    When finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.
    If you don't have the "Command Prompt Only" option, then re-boot the computer normally.
    Go to Start/ShutDown, then choose "restart in ms-dos mode".
    It will come up to C:\windows.
    Type in CD C:\
    It will look like C:>windows CD C:\
    Press Enter.
    It will then be at the C:> prompt.
    Then type in SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    When it returns to the C:> prompt, then manually turn off the computer, and turn it back on.

Win98/98SE Regular Maintenance
    All of these should be run whenever Win98/98SE starts giving problems. It will keep the computer running smoothly.

Before doing any of the following; turn off wallpaper and screensavers before re-starting or re-booting the computer.

Safe Mode is best where indicated, because most programs are not running meaning their files are closed, or not in use. This allows them to be scanned much better, repaired, or defragged better.

1. Scandisk
    Start in Safe Mode by:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter
    After it boots to Safe Mode, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools, and click on Scandisk.
    (It is faster if set on "Standard", the "Thorough" usually is not needed and takes a long, long time).
    Click on "Start" and let it run until finished.

2. Defrag
    When Scandisk is finished, click on "Close".
    Now, go back to the same place, but this time, click on "Defrag".
    Click on OK, and wait until it finishes (might take 1 hour if not done within a month).
    After it finishes, Click on OK or whatever.
    Then, re-boot.

After you do the above Maintenance steps, see if the IE problem is gone.
    If it isn't, please post back, and I will give you steps on how to reinstall Internet Explorer.
    If that doesn't work, it's time to reinstall Windows 98SE!

All the above is called troubleshooting, and hopefully it will work, not having to reinstall windows.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Sep 2, 2005, 01:01 PM
    Hi,
    Scandisk, defrag, scanreg /fix, and repair internet explorer have not stopped the problem. Is it possible that a halted download could have caused this problem. I say this for two reasons. 1 The work offline box appearing after the computer has finished loading windows and startup programs on the desktop. 2 Lexplore was not present in the close program menu after pressing alt ctrl del prior to the problem starting, lexplore only appeared in the close program list after the problem started, lexplore does not appear on the list until 2-3 minutes have elapsed after going online. The point is that internet exlporer has loaded and is working, I get online and lexplore appears on the close program list after a delay, and then keeps loading over and over. If lexplore mentioned in the problem is internet explorer then why is it not present in the close program menu list when I first go online? Sorry for the log winded reply but I really need to try and avoid a reinstall of win98se.
    Thanks for help so far. :)
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 4, 2005, 12:06 AM
    As Scott said, have you scanned your system for viruses, trojans, adware etc?

If not you need to do some of these

Download AVG as an antivirus program from http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

Spybot S&D http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Adaware http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-...bj=dl&tag=top5

All of these programs are free to use for non commercial customers.

Do the Antivirus program first, then scan all downloads with AVG (right click & "scan with AVG free") before running.
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2005, 05:44 AM
    Iexplore
    Hi,
    About the only thing you can do, short of re-installing Win98/98SE, is try re-installing Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

First, it's best to run this in Safe Mode. Safe Mode runs with only the miniumum programs running in the background, and allows this to run faster and much more efficiently.
    To do so:
    Go to Start/Shutdown, then click on "Restart".
    Immediately after the computer starts to come on, press F8 (or, could be F5) at the top of the keyboard. It will come up to a screen showing options.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't do it, then re-boot, and press the CTRL key, hold down until the Options windows appears).
    Use the keyboard arrow up and down keys to select Safe Mode, then press Enter.
    It will then bypass most "loading" files, using only what is necessary to run the computer. Screen will then show "Safe Mode".

Now, go to Start/Programs/Windows Explorer.
    Click on the + sign to the left of the C: Drive, to expand all the files.
    Click on the + sign to the left of the folder, Program Files.
    Now, click on the folder, Internet Explorer. This shows all files on the right hand side.
    Left double-click on "ie6setup.exe". This will open the window to start the installation of IE.
    Continue with the installation, and when you get to the choices of what to install, left click on Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, even though they are highlighted and already installed. This will re-install them.
    Re-boot when it says to.

This installs all new Internet Explorer files.

Best of luck,
    fredg
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2005, 05:46 AM
    Spyware?
    HI,
    If you wish to try some others' suggestions about possible spyware causing these issues, here are steps to run some of the more popular Spyware free programs:

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3
    (If you use the Spyware Blaster free program, then don't set SpyBot to the Immunization feature)

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE V 1.06

CWShredder at:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (CWShredder is intended only for removal of CoolWebSearch files; placed as spyware on the harddrive). It is not a "stand alone" scan, but needs to be run. Download the free version by clicking on "Download stand alone version of CW Shredder".

All 3 of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    This program stops this stuff from getting into the computer in the first place, by placing URL's in the browser, stopping them instantly. One of the Very Best free programs anyone can download!

SpyWare Blaster 3.3

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

I doubt that Spyware is causing you these issues, but it wouldn't hurt to run scans anyway, in Safe Mode.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lexplore [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting pop ups that say lexplore has caused a error what causes this & what is lexplore associated with ?

View more questions Search