Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JMB84 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Foreclosure, bankruptcy and being Judgement proof
    So here is the situation of myself and my fiancé. I live in Canada, but she lives in California, and recently she was kicked out of the house she bought a while back due to missed mortgage payments and the resulting foreclosure. We managed to find a place to rent in the same town, with her mother and step father as co-signers, and she lives there with her boys. However, the bank for the second mortgage continues to call about the money owed to them, but we obviously can't pay it. I researched bankruptcy options, but there is no equity in that house, everything is exempt with the exception of about a thousand+ dollars worth of stuff (hardly a dent in $100,000). She has no job, or source of income, except for what little money she gets from me on occasion. Does this classify as Judgement proof? Also, we intend on getting married within the next year (maybe even sooner), and I intend on working, can they garnish my wages because of this whole situation, due to association through marriage? Help me, and thank you for your time
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 02:39 PM
    Ok first there is no such thing as "judgement proof" they can always sue and get a judgement, and it will be good for @ 7 to 10 years and can usually be renewed at least once, So for 20 years they can merely wait for them to have money to garnish or attach in a bank account.

And bankruptcy clears the debts, you don't have to even have equity it is for those who don't more often.

So she needs to look forward and see what if anything is the best to do
    JMB84 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 03:20 PM
    So in the situation of having no equity, no other debts, but a foreclosure on hand, what is the best form of bankruptcy to file for? I have seen both chapter 7 and chapter 13 suggested.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 03:29 PM
    If she has no real income, she should file chapter 7.

Chapter 13 is designed for the creditors to get at least some of their money back, with a lower monthly payment, over a longer period.

Without a regular source of monthly income, I don't see how she could be successful in a chapter 13.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Her only option would be the Chapter 7 filing.

As Chuck pointed out, there is no such thing as judgment proof so take that into consideration when trying to figure out how to go about getting out from under this debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement Proof [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I just found this site and really think it's very helpful to all it's users. Here is my problem... I was diagnosed with lung cancer back in Oct. 2007. I had my left lung removed. While I was out on medical my job was cut due to contracts not being renewed. It has been a tough seven months so I...

What can I submit to Court at a pretrial hearing to prove I'm Judgement proof [ 1 Answers ]

Hi from Ohio- I am on Social Security Disability and currently I am being sued in Court by collection attorneys for defaulted credit card debt (cards in my name only.) Basically I did default on some debts after maritial problems and illness. Defaults occurred in 2003. Besides S.S. I get a...

Foreclosure vs Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Which is worse on your credit Foreclosure or Bankruptcy?

Foreclosure vs. Bankruptcy [ 6 Answers ]

My divorce papers have been signed by my ex and myself and I waiting for them to be signed by the judge and returned. The home we shared is in foreclosure and up for sale. I am debating whether to let it foreclose or file bankruptcy first. It has been for sale for 4 months now and I've given up...

Mediation Hearing and being judgement proof [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am new to this site and am panicked about a mediation hearing that I have to attend tomorrow. I moved to Florida in 2004 and shortly after, my financial situation became so bad that I could not pay my mortgage and my credit card debt. I as barely able to pay for immeiate living expenses. My...

View more questions Search