Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ukmagicman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Social Security and MediCare for H1B Workers Departing the U.S.
    I remember hearing at some point that workers in the U.S. who are working on a H1B Visa and who will leave the use when the H1B expires can reclaim social security and medicare taxes back. Does anyone know if this is true or false?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 06:53 PM
    False.

Workers on H-1B visas are subject to these taxes and they will NOT be refunded.

You MAY get credit for these taxes in your home country's social security system if they have such an agreement with the United States.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-h1 social security and medicare [ 6 Answers ]

I am an indian citizen employed in the usa. My status for 2005 was : Jan-Oct : F1/OPT Oct-Dec : H1 My employer deducted social security and medicare taxes from oct-dec when I was on h1. While filing taxes, my tax consultant told me that since social security and medicare are charged per...

Social Security and Medicare [ 7 Answers ]

Reply to My question The withholding of Social Security and Medicare taxes from the employee is the sole responsibility of the employer. If he fails to do it, the employer becomes responsible to pay both the employer's and the employee's share of the Social Security and Medicare taxes. The...

H1B claim for social security and medicare [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, I read that when you are in OPT status, you can claim for social security and medicare. Once you are in H1B status you are liable for those. But I heard people saying that during the period of your H1B (max 6 years) you can claim your social security and medicare max 2 times...

F1- H1B Social Security and Medicare refund [ 4 Answers ]

I read through some the posts, I was working on OPT (F1 Visa) from Jan - Oct 2005 and was on H1-B from Oct 1, 2005 onwards. It seems since I did not complete 183 days on H1-B I still qualify as a non resident and should File 1040NR or 1040NREZ with the standard deductions (from India). Am I also...

Social security and medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on H1B. My payroll dept forgot to deduct my social and medicare taxes from my paycheck AND it continued to deduct taxes as per F1. So do I need to pay my medicare and social now with 2005 tax returns? If yes How should I pay those taxes, which forms should I use? Thanks

View more questions Search