Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnetthemusical Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Transfer mortgage from house to house
    I live in Alberta, Canada. Ineed to move within provence but do not wish to get into shopping for a new mortgage for the next house. Can I transfer my current mortgage to another property?:confused:
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2008, 09:35 AM

Not that I know of.

If you are in good standing with your mortgage company they may be very likely to give you a new mortgage on your new home with a minimum amount of hassle.

Once you sell your current home the proceeds from the sale pay off - therefore terminitaing - your mortgage.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 30, 2008, 12:42 PM

No, first how, if you take the mortgage off the first house, you still owe the money on it, are you going to pay that mortgage off ?

But that is basically it, either by using your own money or by selling it, you pay that mortgage off, when you do that, most likely the same mortgage company will give you a new loan on the new property
    saramac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 01:53 PM
    I believe you can. I just had a friend move from Saskatoon to Slave Lake and this is what she did. (Not just in this instance, but her previous sale as well.) I believe there are conditions, of course, such as your current house has to be sold for the transfer to occur, a no brainer there. I'm sure all mortgage companies have their own standards and regulations, but the company me friend went through required 10% of the cost of the new home up front before the transfer could happen, which can be tough to come up with when paying for a house already! Talk to your mortgage company, that's what they're getting paid the mega bucks for!
    saramac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 01:53 PM
    I believe you can. I just had a friend move from Saskatoon to Slave Lake and this is what she did. (Not just in this instance, but her previous sale as well.) I believe there are conditions, of course, such as your current house has to be sold for the transfer to occur, a no brainer there. I'm sure all mortgage companies have their own standards and regulations, but the company me friend went through required 10% of the cost of the new home up front before the transfer could happen, which can be tough to come up with when paying for a house already! Talk to your mortgage company, that's what they're getting paid the mega bucks for!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add name to house deeds but not mortgage? [ 6 Answers ]

I live in the UK. My partner and I own a house, but at the moment the mortgage is in his name and only his name appears on the house deeds. The reason why the mortgage was not in joint names initially is because I was unemployed at the time of applying. I have contacted several solicitors to...

Transfer of House ownership [ 2 Answers ]

How do I transfer ownership of house in Quebec

Want to leave mortgage/house and move os [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I have a house in the uk valued at 200,000 (as at Dec. '07) and secured and unsecured loan of 190,000 with our mortgage company - many potential buyers who have 'disappeared' at the final hurdle. My wife and I are separated - I live in Spain with 2 of our kids and she's in the uk with the...

House Title, mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house in State of Washington prior to my marriage. Now I want to add my wife to the title and mortgage. Do I do this with a Quitclaim deed or something else? Thanks very much.

Mortgage on a House outside the US [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the US on an L1 Visa. I own a house in Israel with a Mortgate on it. The house is rented and I do not live in it. I don't own any more house. Can I deduct the Mortgate interest on this house? Thank You

View more questions Search