Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandra122596 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2012, 07:10 PM
    How old does a teenager have to be in New York state to decide where they want 2 live
    In New York State how old does a minor have to be to decide were they want to live?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 7, 2012, 07:12 PM
    Want doesn't really enter into it. Are you asking about choosing between your mom and dad?

The courts decide. Your opinion will be heard, and considered, but you don't get to "choose". There's a reason why the choice was made to begin with.
    sandra122596 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2012, 07:13 PM
    Legal age of moving out of the house in New York State
    Legal age in New York Stae to move out of your parents home
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 8, 2012, 05:30 AM
    18. A child (minor) cannot choose. The non custodial parent needs to file in court for a modification of the custody order. Depending on the age of the child their preference will be listened to and given weight, but the ultimate decision is in the hands of the court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 8, 2012, 05:35 AM
    There is no age that a minor can decide. At 18 they may move out. In a custody hearing, between parents, children about 12 to 14 and older, may be allowed to testify as to what they would like. But the judge will listen to all evidence and what the child wants is not the major factor he looks at.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In the state of Texas can a child of 10 yrs decide if he wants to live with his mothe [ 0 Answers ]

My 10 yr old grandson wants to live with me instead of his mom,the dad is not in the picture so he's not a problem,how can I get custody of him I can't afford a lawyer,and we live in Texas

Live in New York state we have ice build up bad any ideas. [ 1 Answers ]

28x42 double wide have 1/2 in wafer board with shingles with 1 x3 purlins with metal roof on top bad ice build up and runs down walls

What age a child can decide with wichi parente to live in California State. [ 17 Answers ]

I want to know, when or what age a child can decide with wich parent to live in California State?

Age in New York state,where a child can decide on his own [ 1 Answers ]

What is the age in New York state where a child can decide on his to live with the parent of his choice?he was born in New York,now lives in Florida,has since he was 3.

View more questions Search