Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leonr1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Antibiotics for pneumonia
    How long would it take for atibiotics given intreveniously to work on an elderly patient who was frail and weak?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 4, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Can't really say not knowing the severity of the pneumonia, how long the patient has been ill and other health conditions.
    leonr1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Patient was female aged 80, had just recovered week before from Flu, had Flu jab on The Tuesday admitted to Hospital by the Late Saturday night with shallow breathing and temperature.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 4, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Again it is hard to say. You see there are many factors that are taken into consideration. Age, previous health conditions, possible allergies to antibiotics...

I am sorry but there really is not a cut and dry answer to your question.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 4, 2007, 03:43 PM
    I have a client now who is on dialysis once a week and she has had pneumonia twice in the last six months. She is very well taken care of by us and her family, so there is no telling at all. She seems okay now, but as soon as I hear any hint of a wet cough I will know it is back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scars from pneumonia [ 6 Answers ]

My doctor told me I have scar tissue left over from a mild case of pneumonia. Will I have these scars forever or is there anything I can do to make it go away? Will this scar tissue cause problems like making me more likely to getting pneumonia again?

Antibiotics.how long before they should work? [ 2 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with Quinsy (abcess on the tonsil) 2 days ago. I got a shot in the butt, and have been prescribed Penicillin V 500mg (2 caps twice daily). It is now 48 hours since I started the meds, and I have only a slight decrease in pain and discomfort. My tonsil appears to be less swollen,...

Lung problems-- pneumonia [ 3 Answers ]

I had severe pneumonia and pleurisy about 10 years ago and since then I've had a cough and lingering pleuritic pain. I also tend to get chest infections very easily. Could pnuemonia have caused asthma or is this just the lasting result of scarring?

Taking antibiotics with juice [ 3 Answers ]

I went to the doctor on Monday and discovered I have a urinary tract infection. So, the doctor put me on antibiotics, and she told me to take 3 pills on my first dose, then two, and one on the final pill, which I've been doing. My only question is, can I take these with something other than water,...

Antibiotics [ 1 Answers ]

?? Please can you tell me what the worse side affects are for metronidoze 200mg are as I'm really scared to take them but I know I have to.

View more questions Search