Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Huggybear187 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2013, 10:09 PM
    AC turns off-partial power loss in house- turn ac on-power is restored
    I have a dual zone ad system in my house. It never had problems in the past, however today we switched it from heat to air. Everything worked fine until the thermostat was changed from cool to off

When this happened various rooms in the house lost power.

Thinking it was a tripped fuse I went into the basement and found that nothing was tripped.

Then I noticed all the rooms without power had gbic power outlets. None of those were tripped.

Getting frustrated I walked outside and looked at the ac fuses. They were good.

Not knowing what to do I randomly went back to the thermostat and click it back to cool and raised the tempature so the ac would come back on. When it did all power was restored in the house.

I then lowered the temp so that the ac would turn off and like before the power went out in certain areas of the house as well.

I flipped it back to heat just to see if it was something shorted and go the same results.

Now the only way I can get power is to leave it running all day.

Ideas?
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2013, 06:27 PM
    This has to be one of the strangest problems I've heard. I hate to have to tell you this but troubleshooting a problem like this online is nearly impossible. I suggest you call an electrician who is also familiar with HVAC systems.

Apr 13, 2013, 06:57 PM
    I had to do just that. I call in an electrician and discovered it was the line coming from the electrical box outside into the meter. One side of the line was pulling 102v and the other was pulling 203v. The meter itself had shorted out as well. The electrical company came out and had to dig up the line where it had gone bad just to replace it.

I tried everything I could think of from checking the thermostats to powering off one breaker at a time just to see what it could be.

Final words: before you go crazy googling the improbable, presuming you have the power to Google. Take a few minutes to check the meter outside. If its not working either call the electrical company.

Apr 13, 2013, 07:00 PM
    Thanks for answering my dilemma. I had to do just that, I call in an electrician and discovered it was the line coming from the electrical box outside into the meter. One side of the line was pulling 102v and the other was pulling 203v. The meter itself had shorted out as well. The electrical company came out and had to dig up the line where it had gone bad just to replace it.

I tried everything I could think of from checking the thermostats to powering off one breaker at a time just to see what it could be.

Final words: before you go crazy googling the improbable, presuming you have the power to Google. Take a few minutes to check the meter outside. If its not working either call the electrical company.

Thanks!
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by Grady White View Post
    This has to be one of the strangest problems I've heard. I hate to have to tell you this but troubleshooting a problem like this online is nearly impossible. I suggest you call an electrician who is also familiar with HVAC systems.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2013, 04:17 PM
    Be sure to check ALL appliances & especially ALL electronics. If any are not functioning be on the horn to the electric company pronto. If the trouble was on the incoming side of the meter, they should pay to repair or replace anything damaged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical partial-power-loss power to the outlet on one side and the ground [ 2 Answers ]

I have partial-power-loss as a result of a heater and christmas tree plugged in the same line in my home. The problem I 'm having is that each outlet that was affected still has 115V on ether side and ground , is this the result of a hot attaching itself to ground somewhere in my wall? And how...

Losing Partial Power to house. [ 4 Answers ]

I keep losing power to several rooms, appliances in my house. The power goes out, doesn't trip any breakers, then in 1-2 hours, it comes back on. It seems to be several circuits effected, not just one, but I'm at a loss as to what might be causing this. I have tested the power coming into the...

View more questions Search