Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommynbaby04 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Filed a custody pettition, daughters father in arrears with other children.
    MY daughter is 3 yrs old, he bio father has not been in the picture consistently, he used to come by when he needed to borrow money but never spent time with her and once he got his business established he came by ever 2 or 3 months for anywhere b/t 25-55 minutes at at time... she does not know who he is, I filed a pettition to formalize custody as we got into an argument where he wanted to just take her with him and I said no, for 2 reasons, 1. he has previously threatened me he will take her and disappear and 2 most importantly he has no license and continues to drive , get pulled over and arrested, as far as I am concerend that endangering the welfare of our daughter.

Now all he does is threaten me to withdraw my pettiton , he has threatened me legally and physically, I refuse to back down, I want to formalize this. I am not even askign for child support as he has 2 other children with 2 other woman and is in arrears with them for $40,000 one is about 26,000 and the other 15,000. I am now wondering if the reason he wants me to withdraw is because if I was to file for support it will catch up to him and he may end up in big trouble. Doe anyone know if once we go to trial if his past behavior with his other children who he doesn't support either and whose mothers changed their last names back to theirs and the other one to her new husbands. I need some sort of legal advice we are in NY, if this helps any...
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jul 30, 2007, 06:49 PM
    I think your atty is best qualified to give you advice but in most states, the fact that he doesn't always exercise his visitation rights, that he doesn't on time and consistently pay child support are not grounds for keeping a parent who has legal rights of custody/visitation from exercising those rights. If the father poses a danger to the well being of his child, then that is a different matter and by all means you should discuss this with your atty and he / she will probably suggest having those rights taken away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father won't see children [ 2 Answers ]

My son-in-law won't see his children. He and my daughter have been divorced three years and last June, he stopped seeing his children. His daughter was very close to him and is having a bad time with this. She is almost nine years old. She blames herself because the last time he wanted her to...

Deadbeat Father requests to reduce arrears? [ 3 Answers ]

I've been served after 8+ years of abandonment by my daughters biodad. He owes over $10,000 in child support. He is taking me to court to reduce child support (which he doesn't pay anyway? ), Medical Support (I provide 100% med and dental, he is not ordered to pay this because I never trusted...

Should I let the father of my children see them [ 4 Answers ]

My ex-husband took me to court in July last year because I refused to let him see our 3 children, one of which does not know who he is as we split when she was tiny, the court case was dismissed in march as he did not show up for the hearing. In September I decided to let him see the children, he...

A father abandons his children [ 4 Answers ]

We have been separated 8 months, he hasn't seen the kids (4) ages 8,6,5,3 in over 6 months we had a custody hearing in sept and he still hasn't seen them after attempting to get joint custody which he did not. I have no idea where he is, now is taking me back for a decrease in child support he only...

Daughters custody before hurt [ 2 Answers ]

We had custody of my husbands children for all their life till 2 yrs ago and the mother got them back the children wanted to stay with us and the law guardian also recemmended they stay with us but the judge gave them back .since she has had them one child 3 yrs old died in her care her 1 son was...

View more questions Search