Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noboat Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 11:39 PM
    Dividends
    If a dividend paying stock is held for a short term how is the dividend paid? I'm not clear on how that works with short term trading positions. r.f.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2007, 12:05 PM
    The company declares the dividend on a set date.

The owners of the stock at the end of trading on that date get the dividend, even if they sell the stock the next day.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jan 6, 2007, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by noboat
    if a dividend paying stock is held for a short term how is the dividend paid? i'm not clear on how that works with short term trading positions. r.f.
    There are four dates relevant to dividends.
    Announcement date: This is when the company announces they are going to pay a dividend. You should read the announcement carefully because the following dates may spread out over two or three months
    Record date: This is the date you must own the stock in order to receive the dividend.
    Ex dividend date: If you buy on or after this date you will not receive the dividend. It is usually two business days before the Record date.
    Payment date: This is the date the dividend is paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dividends declared [ 0 Answers ]

If a company lists a debit to dividends declared on their trial balance as an expense , how would this effect stockholders equity at period end? I do not think it would not be an adjusting entry to remove from expenses, but a reclassification entry but I am unsure of what entry to make:confused:

Dividends [ 1 Answers ]

I'm just beginning to learn accounting, but was wondering can dividends EVER in the accounting process be considered expenses. Thanks

View more questions Search