Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cpinetworkingstudent Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2005, 07:41 AM
    How to do user lock on certain programs.
    How would I lock certain files.. on different users... how would I lock file so no one else can access it ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2005, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cpinetworkingstudent
    how would i lock certain files.. on different users... how would i lock file so no one else can access it ?
    This depends on what OS you are using and whether you are referring to network users or local users. Give us more info so we can help.
    cpinetworkingstudent Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2005, 06:51 AM
    OK I'm working with XP OS.. and what I was referring to was locking folders in other usersnames so that other that when they get on the computer they won't be able to access files I do not want them to see that are available on there desktop.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jul 27, 2005, 07:39 AM
    The files/folders can be zipped (e.g. winzip) and pwd protected. Windows XP has an builtin compression apps. More info at http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,110663,00.asp

P2E
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 27, 2005, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cpinetworkingstudent
    ok im workin with XP OS .. and what i was referring to was locking folders in other usersnames so that other that when they get on the computer they wont be able to access files i do not want them to see that are avilable on there desktop.
    If the users do not have admin rights they cannot see anything in another users Documents and Settings folders. So anything you want to keep from them should go in there.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2005, 05:31 AM
    Folders
    Hi,
    Here is a link to a free program that will do it for you:

http://www.fspro.net/hide-folders-xp/

There are other free programs; you can check them out at
    http://www.cnet.com/downloads
    Type in what you are looking for in the Search blank, then click on Go.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jul 28, 2005, 11:28 AM
    NTFS works well at this!
    If you have your drive formatted as NTFS, you will be able to assign security permissions to the files/folders. Simply right click the file/folder you want to protect and select properties. On the security tab you can select who has permission to do what with the files in that folder. Administrators can override this setting (because they're the administrator -e.g. God) if you need access to a locked file.

Permissions in NTFS is quite complicated when you get into it but this should help for starters.

Always backup if you are unsure what you are doing - it will save tears!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Must Have/Useful Programs [ 66 Answers ]

I thought it would be a good idea to get a list of useful programs that we could keep here. If a mod comes across this - could you sticky it please. It would be quite helpful. I'm bound to have missed some programs, so if there is some that you think should be on this list - post here or PM me...

Unknown Programs [ 6 Answers ]

I have a program on my computer called ScheduledAgent and I am not sure what it is. I have looked on the internet via Google and there is mixed results. I am slightly concerned as several results suggest it must be removed immediately. Am I right to be concerned? Also is there any other way of...

Hiding programs [ 8 Answers ]

How do I hide a program from the Add/Remove List in XP? Not sure which yet I want to hide, but like say MSN or IE or something similar. How would I reenable them to the list if it is even possible to remove them to start with? Thanks.

AOL 9.0 SE Removes programs [ 3 Answers ]

AOL 9.0 is removing gotomypc from machines with both installed. I can't find where in AOL to configure it to allow gotomypc. Any ideas? AOL chat is useless, and I don't want to jump through hoops calling AOL. It's easier to remove AOL and have the users check their mail through aol.com. Thanks.

+/- from all programs menu [ 2 Answers ]

How can I add new items to the "all programs" list in XP?:o I'd like to create a entry or two there and move some of the existing items into that folder. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for the help... and oh yeah, Merry Christmas!:D

View more questions Search